How does it work - inverter generators 110 230 Volts switching

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Is each inverter only supplying one power outlet each at 110V ac ? Still interest in the other side of the inverters where the components & wiring are.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
I am trying to dismantle the damn thing. By now, what I can tell you os that those two white cables are joined together, then that cable go inside a type of inductor inside the digital display may be to measure the voltage and current, go out again and split sgain providing 120v to each outlet. Black cables go the same way but doesn't pass thru the digital board. They get splited again and each black cable go to the breakers (2) and then to the outlets.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Debe, any particular interest to see the board side of the inverters?

Anyway, here is a drawing of the cabling going to the breakers and outlets and the display boards showing the joined cables going thru a type of inductor.

By the way the 120v were taken on each connector ( two) wirh 1 white and1 black cables coming out of each inverter.

Attachments

Last edited:

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Since they have wired the inverters in parallel, you could try wiring them in series. This should give you 240V ac, but I would only wire it to through the 20A circuit breaker to the outlets. In series & doubling the voltage will give half the current available. Since they have wired the inverters in parallel then the frequency must be in phase.INVERTER GEN CIRC.jpg

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
How do I do it debe? I am afraid if I wire it in series I will have 220v in one leg only. Am I wrong? The idea here is how I combine the cables in order to get 120 on each leg .

If I change the outlet to a 3 or 4 prong locking outlet, where do the white cables go, and where do the black cable go? What about the neutral cable of the generator?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I will assume you are in America as you refer to 4 pin sockets? Not something we use here in Australia. This is how it would be if you want 110v & 240V ac. Don't know how you would wire it up to the socket where you live.INVERTER GEN GIRC.jpg

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
I will assume you are in America as you refer to 4 pin sockets? Not something we use here in Australia. This is how it would be if you want 110v & 240V ac. Don't know how you would wire it up to the socket where you live.View attachment 81327
Thanks debe. That's what I wanted to know . Don't worry about the wiring. That is the easy part. You clarified me how to have two 120v. Thanks again.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
I plan wire this generator in an abandoned house withou utility electrical energy and plan to use it in a drier outlet to energize the while house. ( see attachment)

But what about the generator groung screw, should I leave it without conection or should I connect it together to the neutral as well?

I am asking because the generator has a ground screw connected to the chassis. It must be there for something. That is my question: Should I connect it in the same pin of the neutral or should I use a separate ground rod for the generator chassis?

Attachments

Last edited:

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Cant realy give advice on wiring in America as its obviously different to how its done in Australia. Here in Australia the generator frame is connected to the earth pin in the socket only. There is no conection to any of the generator windings & here you don't connect the generator to any earth stakes. You will need to ask some one familiar with wiring codes in your area.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Cant realy give advice on wiring in America as its obviously different to how its done in Australia. Here in Australia the generator frame is connected to the earth pin in the socket only. There is no conection to any of the generator windings & here you don't connect the generator to any earth stakes. You will need to ask some one familiar with wiring codes in your area.
Probably I will conect the generator ground to the house metal screw of the drier socket external plate. That's what I think you are telling me.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
By the way debe, can I keep the 120v outlet working. Your last drawing was perfect for me to understand. Can you draw one with both, 120 and 240v ?

Remember, I have two CB, 20A and 30A breakers.

By the way , in a 240v os a must to have a CB for each hot leg ?

And in my case, for sure wattage will be halfed to around 3000 when used in 240v. How much Amps should be the breakers on each 120v leg and how much for 120v? By the way, if I can keep both 120v and 240v I don't plan to use both voltages at the same time. (Althoug it would be fine to have a voltage switch like Honda's generators have)

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
A 2 pole, 20A CB will be enough to protect the generator or would be overkilling?

It is a 5000w continuous and 5500w surge. Do you buy CBs for surge or for continuous ?

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Since they have wired the inverters in parallel, you could try wiring them in series. This should give you 240V ac, but I would only wire it to through the 20A circuit breaker to the outlets. In series & doubling the voltage will give half the current available. Since they have wired the inverters in parallel then the frequency must be in phase.View attachment 81314
What you are telling me here that I will have is a 2750w, 220v genset?

And what about the 2 pole CB, should it be 20A and according with the formula P=IxE ( 240×20=4800w) Would be overkilling know that after this mod?

If I have 2750w available after mod, 2 pole cb must be 11.48v. Does that exist? What I want is to protect my generator of being burned.

thanks in advace for the help. What I want is to protect the genset.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
What you will have is 2 x 2500W 110V supplies. I would make one CB 20A & the other 10A to protect the supply when using 240V Not an ideal situation but you are trying to do something the generator wasn't designed to do.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
What you will have is 2 x 2500W 110V supplies. I would make one CB 20A & the other 10A to protect the supply when using 240V Not an ideal situation but you are trying to do something the generator wasn't designed to do.
On ebay I could buy a 2 pole switch. They come from 10A to 30A. They are smaller than house breakers. Which one woud be the ideal one ? I could find them under " Marine Breakers".

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
On ebay I could buy a 2 pole switch. They come from 10A to 30A. They are smaller than house breakers. Which one woud be the ideal one ? I could find them under " Marine Breakers".
I am asking because I don't understand if the amps are for each leg or the sum of each 120v.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
This should protect both inverters.View attachment 81409
Hi again debe.

I am asking because this inverter has one 20A breaker and one 30A breaker, that equals 30A.

Well, I'll check where to get a 10A CB.

Do you think would be killing installing either a 15A or a 20A double pole CB?

If you don't mind, I would like to know the difference by installing like you say and the double poles.

Thanks again.

Last edited: