How Do You Take Your Whiskey?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It beats the Hell out of being an alcoholic. :D
If everything that was unhealthy went straight to prostration and vomiting, instead of waiting for us to make a conscious decision, we'd all be a lot healthier. ;)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It seems like you answered a slightly different question than the OP asked. I think you answered, "how do you take THEIR whiskey." On the other hand, if you are bigger than the OP and he is not inclined to fight back, I guess he will not push the issue.
I was going to say I take it just like I take my candy which is mostly from children but that would just raise more questions about the people that I hang out with. :eek:

Actually I don't drink. I have never been drunk in my life and can count the times I have been buzzed on one hand.
I know people who drink more alcohol in the first hour they got off work on a Wednesday afternoon than I typically drink in a year. ;)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It beats the Hell out of being an alcoholic. :D
If everything that was unhealthy went straight to prostration and vomiting, instead of waiting for us to make a conscious decision, we'd all be a lot healthier. ;)
I only we were allergic to junk... or at least junk-intolerant...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I was going to say I take it just like I take my candy which is mostly from children but that would just raise more questions about the people that I hang out with. :eek:

Actually I don't drink. I have never been drunk in my life and can count the times I have been buzzed on one hand.
I know people who drink more alcohol in the first hour they got off work on a Wednesday afternoon than I typically drink in a year. ;)
I sip... but I don't swallow... :D

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I stopped drinking at age 24 till I was 45 didn't like the stuff. But; with age and my now wife who liked a rum and coke while we dated. Little did I know having a drink or two didn't seem that bad anymore. Especially after a long day of work and my muscles and joints hurt. But; a friend of mine when I was younger couldn't or shouldn't drink. Just a little got him really drunk; he was part Indian not a lot but a little.

I don't know if that could have affected him or not?

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Rocks, almost always a double shot on the rocks but on occasion simply straight up. My neighbor for example shares my like of Jack Daniels but drinks Jack & Coke while I pour a few shots of Jack over a few ice cubes and I am a happy camper. Personally I am not much the Gin or Vodka type but do like a good beer or hard cider. Never cared for any "lite" beer and prefer a good beer in a bottle.

Ron

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I can remember when I did drink, and handled it well enough. I liked Drambuie and Southern Comfort. I even developed a taste for Scotch. Now, that is sippin' whiskey! Always hated Bourbon! The only use for Crown Royal is to cauterize a sore throat. I would gargle it, but I wouldn't swallow it. I liked Stroh's beer but hated Budweiser. Tequila Sunrise, tequila shots with lime and salt, that gin in a green bottle. Peppermint Schnapps at Christmas. I had apricot brandy once and liked it. That about covers it.

Then I changed. I had a wife that drank, then she left. By then, I didn't have any friends that drank. I actually don't know when I stopped drinking. I just noticed one day that the wife had been gone for 5 years and her booze was still here. I took it to a party and gave it away some time around 1994.

As I said previously, I tried about 5 ounces of wine about a year ago, just to see if I still don't like it. I don't!
I don't know what changed or why. I just know it's not worth the price any more. I don't get a buzz. I don't sit and grin. I just get sick.

Oh well. If I really cared, I would have noticed when I quit drinking. It never was important to me. I just kind of forgot to reach for the bottle when none of my friends were drinking and it eventually became permanent. When I think of all the stupid, clumsy, wasted time I've missed in the last twenty years, I hope all of you gradually forget to drink and don't notice when it happens.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Oh well. If I really cared, I would have noticed when I quit drinking. It never was important to me. I just kind of forgot to reach for the bottle when none of my friends were drinking and it eventually became permanent. When I think of all the stupid, clumsy, wasted time I've missed in the last twenty years, I hope all of you gradually forget to drink and don't notice when it happens.
Drinking to me is like HERSHEY'S Chocolate, I like it a lot and would miss the flavor if I could never have another but don't crave it. I might have a full bar once a week and don't overindulge to the point of losing control even at a big 'Chocolate' eating occasion. ;) I like the drinking attitude of this part of the country, nice people drinking outdoors at little Patio corner bars and bistros while eating with friends or family without the meat-locker college bar feel. Even the dive bars are usually nice.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Patio+Bars&find_loc=Portland,+OR

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
... I hope all of you gradually forget to drink and don't notice when it happens.
Very interesting story... my respect for you has just grown up a notch... drinking for the sake of feeling a buzz is something that I don't do, and I've never done... I'm a mexican who hates tequila, how's that?... I drink because I love the taste and after-taste of a good beer, and a nice glass of red wine... also, the cooling sensation of a well-chilled gin-and-tonic... and because it helps me relax a bit. But God has blessed me with what I call a "fuse"... after so many drinks it just blows and I don't enjoy drinking anymore... and even feel a little bit unwell. That's when I start sipping coffee and have dessert. And after that, just good'ol plain cold water. And that normally happens well before I start showing signs of impairment.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I don't drink now. 5 years ago, had two strokes in one weekend. Since then alcohol doesn't do anything too me. Only reason I drank was for the buzz.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
And a tax stamp. Distillation of alcohol is illegal, even ethanol for fuel takes a tax stamp in the US.
I must have been drinking whiskey and missed this thread until now. One of my favorite topics! Cmartinez nailed my answer in #2 - you adjust depending on what you are drinking. I would add that I almost always use a heavy glass that I keep in the freezer. Glassware matters! This cuts down on the dilution due to ice melting. Some folks use other objects you freeze and add to your drink, like cubes of stone or steel.

Anyway, I wanted to clarify that ethanol for fuel is not taxed like booze. Nobody could afford it for fuel, if it was. The ethanol plants denature the alcohol after it leaves the still, usually by adding a small amount of gasoline. And yes, they have to be very careful with their records and handling of the ethanol, to avoid the wrath of the government. Can you get a liter out if you know somebody? Yes, but don't ask them.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
my respect for you has just grown up a notch...
I did not earn any extra respect. This is not a matter of courage. What happened to me was merely a natural process which I don't understand. I am just lucky that alcohol doesn't, "ring my (euphoria) bell".

One less thing to worry about.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There are 5 stages of Inebriation

Don't go past here. The pursuit of intoxication is as old as the caveman.
"It's a natural part of consciousness to change one's consciousness"
The reason why? We like it, after hunger, thirst and sex, there is intoxication and it's not always obtained by drugs but drugs are usually a easier and cheaper way to get there with a huge part of the worlds population under the influence of caffeine daily.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Anyway, I wanted to clarify that ethanol for fuel is not taxed like booze. Nobody could afford it for fuel, if it was. The ethanol plants denature the alcohol after it leaves the still, usually by adding a small amount of gasoline. And yes, they have to be very careful with their records and handling of the ethanol, to avoid the wrath of the government. Can you get a liter out if you know somebody? Yes, but don't ask them.
But they still require a tax stamp or did. It is also called a AFP permit or stamp. The SOT (special occupation tax) Did apply to distilling too. All things like distilling and gunsmithing regulated by ATFE have a SOT. And ethanol for fuel you have to pay a road use tax in many states on every gallon.

http://www.ttb.gov/industrial/fuel-alcohol-faqs.shtml

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
All things like distilling and gunsmithing regulated by ATFE have a SOT. And ethanol for fuel you have to pay a road use tax in many states on every gallon.
A unlicensed individual can make their own legal (GCA or National Firearms Act (NFA)) firearm (provided that he/she/it has no intent to sell or distribute it) but can't make a drop of of their own unlicensed whiskey with the same lack of intent so it seems booze is not a constitutionally protected right after the 21st amend.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I did not earn any extra respect. This is not a matter of courage. What happened to me was merely a natural process which I don't understand. I am just lucky that alcohol doesn't, "ring my (euphoria) bell".

One less thing to worry about.
Ok... then I'll take my extra respect now, and we're back where we started... :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cmartinez Off-Topic 5