How do you splice in limit switches to an existing control.

sky-high-11

Joined Apr 16, 2015
See attached pictures.
I am building a tubing notcher using a xy table that moves the vise held tube into a stationary rotating hole saw.

When the saw cuts thru the tubing I want it to trip the limit switch reversing the direction toward the other limit switch which then shuts the feed off making ready for the next tube.

How do you splice in limit switches to an existing control.

I have no clue about electrical things so answers should be dummied down.
Thanks, Rick

20150423_140912.jpeg 20150423_141012.jpeg 20150423_141023.jpeg 20150428_090949.jpeg P1000273.JPG P1000275.JPG P1000276 2.jpg

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I think the problem is there really isn't enough information available in your post for anyone to be able to help with specifics.

Furthermore, it may not be as simple as you imagine because it would be bad for the motor to change direction instantly so you will require an extra step in the middle to allow the motor to stop. It is certainly possible; consider using an inexpensive mini PLC or smart relay to automate the process, this will allow you to easily add some "intelligence" to the control. Use relays to emulate the motor control switch positions (FWD, BRAKE, REV).

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
looks like its a four wires motor, the blue and yellow are forward and reverse, red black dc feed, so you need to interrupt the blue yellow feeds.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
looks like its a four wires motor, the blue and yellow are forward and reverse, red black dc feed, so you need to interrupt the blue yellow feeds.
That is what I would do. You can get a piece of those wires behind the Forward / Reverse switch. Use your limit switches to interrupt those lines for FWD and REV.

Ton

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Note that if interrupting the field wires (blue yel) without also interrupting the armature wires (red black ) the motor will behave as typical for a field loss (runaway high speed).

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I would make an external circuit which switches the armature polarity so as to avoid field loss. Switching the lower inductance armature will allow faster fwd/Rev switching. Making the circuit external gives you a fall-back option if things don't work as expected : the working DC drive that you haven't tampered with.

I would use a programmable relay like omron zen or pilz pnoz or similar. Or possibly arduino if cost is a big factor.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Although that may not apply if it is a universal motor as at that point the armature circuit will be open.
Max.
I would not expect to see a universal motor used in a positioning application although it can't be ruled out I suppose. I cannot read the name plate. can we get a better hi res pic if the name plate?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If DC shunt motor I would have expected to see some field details on the motor plate, but it is a little hard to read.
The controller appears to have a single SCR.
Max.