how do you read ascii schematics?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mecha, Nov 10, 2012.

1. mecha

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Hello - newbie question - some folks post schematics in ascii - I can't make them out - any tips?
    thanks!

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Any examples?

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Are you referring to .asc files? Those are not ascii, they are LTspice files. You can download the free LTspice simulator program from Linear Technology to look at those files and also simulate the circuits in the files.

4. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    No,they use the ASCII characters to actually draw a circuit diagram,a bit like
    people used to make pictures using teletype machines years ago.

5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Reading that requires non-proportional font like terminal or courier, then the drawing should make more sense.
    Do you have any examples you have trouble with?

6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Then what do you mean by "read" them? Just look at them.

I have never seen anything like this.

Once again do you have an example????? I physical example?

If a schematic was produced by a teletype machine, why should you can about reading it anyway? The technology in the schematic would be extremely outdated.

7. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
  8. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
  9. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Horrible drawing. Those things should be forbiden by international law.

10. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    I said "a bit like"--got to be careful with "speed reading"!:D

11. Blofeld

Feb 21, 2010
    Exactly. The easiest thing that works for me is to copy the stuff into Notepad (I'm pretty sure every PC running Windows has it - don't know about Linux).

In Notepad it looks OK. I'm not saying it looks nice, but that's impossible to achieve.

12. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    You read them like any other schematics. It often helps to look at it from a distance of a few feet first. That will give you the overall picture, then you can look closer to find the details.

13. mecha

Nov 10, 2012
  14. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Yikes!

At the very least, use Paint or hand draw your drawings and post a photo or scan.

15. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Okay, that looks like an archive, and it appears that the circuits have lost their spacing. Without spacing, it's impossible to know how the circuit is supposed to be connected.

16. mecha

Nov 10, 2012
    thanks, I don't feel so stupid now :)

17. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hahaha, yup. There's absolutely no way to read that unless you can figure out the original spacing. Sometimes it's possible, but it's rare. You're perfectly fine :p

18. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    To using the ascii chrs to draw the circuit, I think that idea is came from ascii art as below:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=u8OeUIjuEersmAXdooCYBg

Some systems of the forums will reduce the space automatically, so you can not use or not easy to draw the circuits.

For some reasons that the people will use ascii chrs to draw the circuits, some are for the HDD space of the website, some are don't like to draw the circuit by paint or as protel, oracd etc.

19. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    It displays fine on my browser. As others have said, it is important to get the intercharacter spacing correct. If the maker used a fixed-pitch font and nothing reduced multiple whitespace to a single space, you should be able to render it properly.

In this particular schematic (which I realize you are just using as an example) there is a connection that doesn't make sense -- namely the emitter of the NPN transistor. I'm guessing there is a resistor to ground that is missing.

20. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

My thoughts. Why would anyone post such a thing? I see from Scott he says to save space plus a few other ideas but yikes!. It has to be a hassle to create and even a bigger hassle if the spacing goes away.