how do you make a preset toggle ff like in a 4029 decade counter?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tavish, Nov 12, 2014.

1. tavish

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 12, 2014
    My 4029 is fried and I want to make the same type of flip-flop that it has.
    thanks!

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
  3. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Search archive.org - they have some very old Signetics applications books for various logic families.

There are many pages of detailed logic diagrams of what's in a lot of MSI logic blocks.

4. tavish

Nov 12, 2014
    thanks for not being sarcastic. I did try Google, that's how i found this website.

I already have schematics.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What do you mean by "make the same type of flip-flop"? Do you want a replacement counter chip, individual FF chips, or make it with discrete transistors?

6. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    "sarcastic"?! - tell me what you've been smoking, I want some.

You're not the first to give a nasty reply when I've tried to help - this forum has some odd rules, none of which weed out the idiots!

7. tavish

Nov 12, 2014
    I was thanking you for not being sarcastic like the other guy. I'm a kid.

8. tavish

Nov 12, 2014
    Oh, I didn't mean make them, I just wanted to know what type of flip-flops were in it. My schematic only shows them as boxes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Generally speaking unless otherwise indicated the flip-flops represented by boxes in MSI (Medium Scale Integration) chips are D-type flip-flops. Other possible types are the T (Toggle), the SR (Set-Reset), and the JK flip-flop.

The Toggle flip-flop can be made from a D-type flip-flop by connecting the Q_BAR output to the D-input. The Q output will change to the opposite state on each clock edge.

For how flip-flops are made from gates, checkout the following
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Fli...v&sa=X&ei=9bxmVIXjNYT4yATWqIC4BA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

10. tavish

Nov 12, 2014
    Thanks, it's a counter and say TE, PE, and P. these are the only inputs besides the clock, so I think it's a toggle. I mainly need to know what the TE does because I'm going to make a stem-step schematic. I'll try the link.

oops. meant step-by-step.

Yay! found out it's not fried. Still want to know about the FF's though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  11. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Helllo,

Have a look at the pages 3 and 4 of the attached PDF.
    There you can see they use J-K Flip-Flops.

Bertus

12. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Its fairly usual for someone to *BE* sarcastic when they reply to someone they think is being sarcastic - your opening line looked like that.

Popular Electronics did occasional tutorials on logic circuits as they emerged onto the market late 60s/early 70s.

I downloaded the magazines from electronicsandbooks - but the site seems to be offline when I just tried it! Although it sometimes takes a few goes to log in at the best of times.

Assuming you get there, you can navigate the folders for a load of other magazines - but you'll need a big hard drive.

13. tavish

Nov 12, 2014
    Thanks, but my schematics don't show all those inputs, nor do I know what most of the new ones do.

I don't put words together well. My hard drive is almost full but i'll see how far I get.

I'm not good at putting words together. my hard drive is almost full but I'll see how far I get. thanks!

nope. couldn't handle it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  14. tavish

Nov 12, 2014
    oy

15. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I have pasted the two images from page 3 and page 4 together to get the complete internal schematic of the 4029:

[​IMG]

Bertus

kubeek likes this.