How do you guys organize your stuff?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stoopkid, Jan 5, 2012.

1. stoopkid

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I've only really gotten interested in electrics over the last year and I already have wayyy too much stuff to keep organized. First I just spent days finding plastic organizing boxes with small enough cells to make it efficient. Soon after I found a solution I had too much for that to work so I started punching holes in the little ziplock bags that I get my parts in and put them on rings. Now I have too much for that. So how do you guys stay organized?

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't. I have boxes, totes, trash bags, shelves, all with random crap, and you can't even set a beer down on my kitchen table.

shortbus likes this.
  3. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    boxes for fishing tackle (they often have nice size compartments) and other boxes as size demands

4. Zazoo

Jul 27, 2011
    I was using the small flip-top organizer trays you can buy for fishing gear and craft beads. This got cumbersome to work with as I added more stuff though - I ended up having tons of trays that took up half my desk and frequently got knocked over.

Eventually, I installed a peg-board and shelving behind the desk I use. On the peg-board I attached multidrawer organizers (the kind you get at home improvement stores to store nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) I use these to hold all my components. Larger items go in a set vertical plastic drawers on the side of the desk (I bought these at Wal-Mart for like $8 each.)

It works nicely, although it tends to just free my desk up to collect other clutter. Oh well.

I'll throw up a picture in a bit.

5. stoopkid

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    A pic would be helpful, thanks.

The problem I had with tackle boxes is that the compartments tend to be bigger than they need to be and there ends up only being a few dozen of them.

6. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    I found a set of plastic ones where you can adjust the dividers. It works well on the go. Eventually a multi-unit organizer is in order for a workbench, but I am not there yet ;)

7. Zazoo

Jul 27, 2011
    This is my current setup.

• desk.jpg
      desk.jpg
      File size:
      272.1 KB
      Views:
  8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    By pile, heap, and hair color.

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Bank boxes, plastic zip lock bags of all sizes, kit boxes (w/ static foam), and a few candy boxes. I also have a strong shelf that I use to hold the bank boxes. The only failing is my memory, I occasionally loose track where I put stuff.

Resistor Parts Storage

10. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I have no idea...I let my technicians/engineers store the stuff.

When I need something, I shout out, "I need a [fill in the blank]", and 2 minutes later its on my desk!

11. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    2 minutes is enogh time for a bright idea to vanish into thin air.

12. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Which is why I write things down.

13. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    I think I have some kind of disorder with being organised, it can make me feel ill with c*** everywhere, I mean everything just in general. All my deodrant cans will be neatly lined up, books arranged in alphabetical order, shoes lined up in pairs, I think it was from being too organised with Lego and Meccano.

It really kicks in with groups of conductors. I have to ensure they are all parallel to one another in a rectilinear fashion with a soft right angle bend or a double set in the conductor to make it to its destination.

14. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    WHAT!:eek: Not by height! Oh, man.... How does that look? must be up and down and up...

I got some drawers with small compartments, but I have not enough, so the Strantor way is growing. Until next time I clean... But now it's a new year and new possibilities...

15. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    You get used to it ;)

If you don't put it back from where it came from your in trouble!

16. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

shortbus, magnet18 and strantor like this.
  17. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    printed out, and tacked on top of a bunch of random neglected reminders on the corkboard above my desk at work.
    thanks for this gem.

18. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    That, my friend, is called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or OCD; I have a friend with it, though it's much more selective (her rooms a mess, but she flips when the volume isn't an even number, [even after I explained that the numbers have no absolute meaning, and are relative to the TV in question])

And +1 to the height comment, that's how mine are :D

As to the original post, I have a bunch of shelves around my desk, and they are covered in boxes and bins and totes and organizers and such, all crammed full. Components are organized by type. Diodes in a box, resistors in a little divider thing you can get at a hobby shop, wire is all in a bin, IC's are in their tubes in a pile on a shelf above my desk, and so on

It sounds better than it is
    And my desk generally accumulates junk until I can't see it/work on it/push the junk back any further/cant fit my laptop on it/just cant take it anymore, and I'm forced to clean it.

If you want a cleaner hobby, switch to software ;)

19. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    My problem isn't mainly that I am disorganized (which I am), it's that when I get into something, I get totally into it. to the point that nothing else comes into the equation. I will stay in this mode until something forces me to change gears, like crippling bathroom pains, or the total absence of a workspace. Once my workspace becomes so cluttered that I cannot function, I temorarily drop the project, and the new project becomes spring cleaning. I will then organize, categorize, sanitize, etceteraize, until I have a sterile workstation and the pick back up on my project if I can remember where I was. My workstation will stay sterile for about 5 minutes.

20. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    "A clean workbench is the sign of a sick mind"- unknown