how do they make circuits very small

vlsi

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Can someone give me a web page that explains the process of how millions of transistors can be packed in a small space?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
What you want to look for is "silicon planar processing" - the manufacturing process that creates and connects the millions of transistors on a silicon die. The fact that there are millions, and today billions, of transistors is a by product of the improvements in manufacturing capabilities and tolerances; namely the etching process.

If you can get access to a copy of Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith (I suggest you look in your library) one of the appendix gives a very detailed overview of the process.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
The process involves photolithography and chemical etching as well. The process is to complex and I don't know the details, but googling based on these two terms can be a start. You should go for the book that Dave suggested if you can access it in a public library.

vlsi

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What you want to look for is "silicon planar processing" - the manufacturing process that creates and connects the millions of transistors on a silicon die. The fact that there are millions, and today billions, of transistors is a by product of the improvements in manufacturing capabilities and tolerances; namely the etching process.

If you can get access to a copy of Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith (I suggest you look in your library) one of the appendix gives a very detailed overview of the process.

Dave
thanks for info