How do micro ohmmeters work?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by thingmaker3, Mar 25, 2006.

1. thingmaker3

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    How do micro ohmmeters work?

2. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    Same principle as normal ohm meter. A few necessary differences/enhancements are kelvinated measurement wires, sensitive and high precision input amplifier and high accuracy/resolution indicator/ADC. Some expensive models (notably ones with DSPs) have averaging/repeated measurements with noise cancellation algorithm.

3. Polgi-Wan

Sep 26, 2005
    never seen (or used) one ever.... which applications / circuits are these commonly used?

which brings me to think why do we have 0 ohm resistors?

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    When circuit boards had only through hole components, wire jumpers were used to make optional connections. A piece of wire is difficult for a pick 'n place machine to handle so the 0 ohm resistor replaces the piece of wire used as a jumper.

5. thingmaker3

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    We occasionally use them at work to test bonding on isolated grounding networks. Micro-ohmmeters, that is - not surface mount resistors. ^_^

I was toying with the idea of adapting something similar (if more crude) for a hobby project.

6. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    You could use one to measure specific conductor resistivity and because most of these micro ohmmeters also measure voltages down to nV range, they are also invaluable in high precision lab works and semiconductor characterisations. These are the ones that I know and I have no doubt that they are also useful in many other applications.

7. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Greetings thingmaker3,

Here is a publication by Keithley titiled Low-Level Measurements Handbook. It has some interesting info on micro-ohmmeter measurements. It also describes the technique of four-wire measurment.

hgmjr

Metalmann likes this.