How do manufactor test the multitimer before release it?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by MichealY, May 5, 2009.

1. MichealY

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    As the title.
    Thanks.

2. jasperthecat

Mar 26, 2009
    MichaelY

Like any other piece of electronic equipment it has to be tested against known standards or values in the manufacturing plant.

For example if the multimeter has an accuracy of +/- 2% the manufacturer will usually have access to a standard voltage of say + / - 0.5% or better.

In serious measurement environments the standard voltages, currents, lengths, weights or whatever can be traced back government standards laboratories.

I wouldn't say that your $20-30 digital multimeter is traceable to a laboratory but there will be a calibration process in the plant to give the required accuracy.

Hope this helps

3. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

I'm actually astonished at how accurate some of those $6 multimeters are! The probably use A/D chips from the same supplier as Fluke!

But as suggested, the cost of lab grade instruments is determined as much by the time and effort of standards checking as the hardware itself.

When I worked in QA of a small manufacturer, we also had a "shake-n-bake" tester, where we measured performance under severe environmental conditions. Accuracy was not our main goal; reliability was. :)

Eric

4. MichealY

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Thx for your replies.
    MichealY