How do I wire this temp controller?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by BrewVegas, Apr 14, 2012.

1. BrewVegas

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 13, 2012
    I came across this forum and this is my first post. To all the mods and admins, I appreciate your help in advance.

I bought a temperature/speed controller to regulate the heat on a hotplate. I need a little help wiring it as I already blewup the first one? :confused: So, I figured it was time to ask some experts. :)

Here are pictures of the hot plate and heating element:

[​IMG]

I want to bypass the existing temp control knob (pictured up top) because it has a built-in thermostat that cycles. I would like to be able to control the range of power using the controller I bought.
    [​IMG]

So, here is the controller. There is a connection point up top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BrewVegas

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

And two connection points on the board shown below in the pic on the side.
    [​IMG]

There are two wires going to the element as seen in the first post. So, with the three connection points identified, how to I wire this???

Thanks!

3. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    That little controler will probably handle about 500Watt load max. Im sure the element will be mutch more than that, that will be why it blewup. Check the element or the apliance plate it should have the wattage.

4. Motardo

Sep 21, 2011
    That controller looks like a triac circuit. One side of the heater should be connected to AC power (through the power switch), the other heater terminal connects to one of the triac terminals. The other triac terminal connects to the non-switched AC power line.
    triac.PNG
    I think the connection on top of the pot is not needed, but I could be wrong.

5. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    +1 debe, we need to know what the ratings of the heater element and the controller are. It doesn't make sense to connect them untill you know they're compatable, as evidenced by blowing the first one up.