How Do I wire a photo interrupter to a simple circuit?

affan101

Joined Dec 12, 2016
I'm trying to wire a photo interrupter to 2 wires that I soldered to 2 opposite ends of a button circuit on a game controller. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to use the photo interrupter as a coin slot for my arcade machine. So instead of pressing a button, a coin is passed through the photo interrupter, thus closing the circuit. The photo interrupter has 4 pins but I'm trying to wire it to only 2 wires. What should I do? Thanks for your help.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I don't know what photo interruptor that you are using. But in general, I would expect four wires. Two for a light source and two for the sensor. If we are to help, it would be nice to know the specific photo interrupter that you have and it's datasheet.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If the circuit you are triggering has only 2 wires, you cannot use a photo interrupter.

The interrupter light source needs constant power, you can make it work if you have another source of DC power available.

This then uses 3 wires-

1) Constant power
2) Switch output
3) Ground.

affan101

Joined Dec 12, 2016
Once again if you provide a link to a datasheet or part number of the device you are intending to use your queries will be able to answered more quickly. No one is here to steal your ideas.

It's like asking someone how to cook a vegetable, without letting them know the vegetable you are wanting to cook.
Ok sorry the photo interrupter # is HY870P thanks for your help

affan101

Joined Dec 12, 2016
Sorry I'm not good with reading diagrams, can you please just tell me how to connect the batteries to the interrupter?