How do i turn my clock in to a battery powered one?

Alex Mar

Joined May 16, 2016
I have this clock which is currently plugged into the wall. I would like to make it wireless and powered by battery. Preferably with aa's, 9v or whatever is easiest really. I've added some pictures of the inside of the clock which seems to have some electronic specs and a picture of the switch on the power cord which the clock plugs into wall.

I tried using a 9v battery with a 9v battery connector but it didn't run the clock.

My question is what kind/quantity of batteries do I need? and what connectors/other parts will I need?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You pictures tell us little info about the clocks actually workings, but it won't work directly on DC as the right picture you posted says 105-125V AC only, so it would require a 120Vac DC to AC inverter with an accurate 60Hz frequency output for power.
The picture also says it takes 2W so even a large battery wouldn't power it very long.
For example a single alkaline D-cell has about 6 watt-hours of energy so would run the clock for only about 3 hours even if the inverter had 100% efficiency, which it won't.
A standard 12V lead-acid car battery has about 500 watt-hours so it would run the clock for about 250 hours (10 days), again with a 100% efficiency inverter.

So why do you want to run this particular clock from a battery, which it's apparently ill suited for?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I have this clock which is currently plugged into the wall. I would like to make it wireless and powered by battery. Preferably with aa's, 9v or whatever is easiest really. I've added some pictures of the inside of the clock which seems to have some electronic specs and a picture of the switch on the power cord which the clock plugs into wall.

I tried using a 9v battery with a 9v battery connector but it didn't run the clock.

My question is what kind/quantity of batteries do I need? and what connectors/other parts will I need?

Thanks in advance.
The pictures don't provide much information. In general you need to provide equal voltage, second you need to provide a 60 Hz (or 50 Hz) signal. But I think your answer will be "no" Maybe a battery powered source of 120 V AC at 60 Hz?.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
1) Gut your clock and throw away all the guts.
2) Get a battery powered movement and replace all the thrown away guts.
3) Done! (After hanging it on the wall).