How do I get a wireless router to work on my laptop?

robertsmith

Joined Nov 14, 2010
I know there are a lot of questions about wireless routers but I've tried all the advices and it still doesn't work. I have an Acer Aspire 5630 laptop, and a D-Link wireless router.

bkochis

Joined Aug 5, 2010
I know there are a lot of questions about wireless routers but I've tried all the advices and it still doesn't work. I have an Acer Aspire 5630 laptop, and a D-Link wireless router.
Robert,

There are several items that must match between your laptop and router.
1. Same speed/encoding: 802.11 b, g or N
2. SSID: System identifier
3. Security WEP or WPA
4. Shared Key

As an example: my router can handle b,g,n and my laptop is b/g. So I have made the following settings:
1. Router was set to accept b,g, and n connections. Laptop was already set to communicate with g. I started with the router and set the various entries below and wrote them down

2. I entered the SSID as Jennifer. Make sure the SSID is set to Broadcast.

3. set security to WPA and TKIP. Your router may have separate settings for these items. There is a difference between WEP, WPA, WPA2 PERSONAL and WPA2 ENTERPRISE. Also between TKIP and AES.

4. After setting WPA, and TKIP, enter the shared key. (A password that both the router and laptop must know)

5. Once the changes are made to the router, go to your laptop and use the wireless utility and search for the SSID you entered.

6. Set the laptop to be the same as the items you wrote down.

7. After everything is working, go back into the router and turn OFF SSID broadcasting.

What specific operating system and D-Link router are you using?

PS> I attached some screenshots from Windows Vista.

Attachments