How do I find this current?

no12thward

Joined Jan 10, 2011
I am trying to find the current coming out of the Silicon diode here. With an energy source or a given voltage I would be able to, but just the current on on side of the circuit is given. So i am confused on how to the current coming out of the diode, as shown.....

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I am trying to find the current coming out of the Silicon diode here. With an energy source or a given voltage I would be able to, but just the current on on side of the circuit is given. So i am confused on how to the current coming out of the diode, as shown.....
Use Norton's Theorem to convert the 6mA current source and the 3K resistor in parallel with it into its equivalent voltage and resistance and then I think you will find that the problem becomes a simpler thing to manage.

hgmjr

no12thward

Joined Jan 10, 2011
Maybe I'm still confused after converting my current to a voltage source. It looks like just simple Ohms Law after that, But for Id (the current coming out of the silicon diode) I got 2.88mA. Though I don't feel 100% sure about that answer. Does that look right?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Maybe I'm still confused after converting my current to a voltage source. It looks like just simple Ohms Law after that, But for Id (the current coming out of the silicon diode) I got 2.88mA. Though I don't feel 100% sure about that answer. Does that look right?
Your answer agrees with mine. If you include a scan of your calculations then we could confirm them.

hgmjr

Last edited:
Substitute the currents from your calculations back in to see if the voltage in each leg is equal...

3000*0.00288 + 0.7 = 3000*0.00312

If that statement is true, with some small error from approximating answers, than the answers are probably correct.