How do I connect this type of cable?

krnx2oh7

Joined Jul 17, 2011
I'm not sure what these are formally called so if you could even just tell me what these are named so I can google more on it that would be appreciated as well. Its basically a flexible flat surface with wire traces on it.

http://postimage.org/image/e2h2aff2j/

So I would like to connect two of these cables together to make one longer cable, but am unsure how

My inital thought is to make a pcb board with straight line traces, but then how would I put it on?

krnx2oh7

Joined Jul 17, 2011
Since the picture is bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h4WZsKCEZs

This is what I'm looking at.
In this video it seems that it has to be connected to a clamp at the ends of the cable.

So is the only way for me to connect two of these is to use the leads at the end of the clamps and use straight traces on a pcb to connect to the leads of the other clamp?

krnx2oh7

Joined Jul 17, 2011
They are pretty close though so applying solder directly to the wire would short it I think

also is that flexible flat cable the same thing? Is the only difference between mine and the link u sent that each conductive trace is exposed and those are individually wrapped

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
There were these Kapton " Flex circuits " in most 35 mm SLR Film cameras circa 1976 - to - present, and still in use in Digital SLR's Connections between flexcircuit sections were carried out with many different methods, so no single method is the rule. Whatever gives you the most solid connection.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
You can't solder these "FlatFlex" cables
without damage, use a connector and solder the connectors together.
Not so......... Did it - still do it......Kapton flex circuits are rather unforgiving insofar as heat required for soldering to goes. I developed my own method to deal with soldering 32ga. hookup wires to them, and eliminating inefficient pin-registered clamped connections that had tarnished.
Your signature definitely applies in this case :D