How do I calculated a Fuse and Switch for a DC Circuit using a Car Battery ( isolated ) safely.

RandyFL

Joined Aug 28, 2014
In it's simplest form, a diode that can handle the peak motor current and reverse voltage of the power supply.
Dennis,
How was your 2015?

Thanx.. all who contributed to this thread. I will order the parts and build asap...
Theres a part that's sitting here ( but I will deal with it later ) motor control that I bought from Canakit... but as I say I'll put that in later...

R

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Thats a 12V pwm motor speed control, just put the controller in place of the motor, and connect the motor to the controller,

I use paint to draw the circuits.

RandyFL

Joined Aug 28, 2014
here is the circuit with a switch, relay, overload fuse...

View attachment 101537
Dave,
I forgot about the cables ( wire )... what size wire should I use for this project...?
just above the rating of the fuse 80 amp or just above the rating of the battery ( 12 volts 300 CCA )
i'm sure a screwdriver or wrench starts to glow when improperly placed :)

R

RandyFL

Joined Aug 28, 2014
Go for just above fuse rating or higher if its within your budget.
Dave,
I was thinking about this all day yesterday...and checking the posts here this morning...
1. I don't know if I found
this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Line-Car...802189?hash=item419af7c08d:g:PBYAAOSwyQtVzOlU

here on the posts ( or if I found it on my own ) my question is this...
why would I build a circuit in 6 gauge wire when the fuse assembly is built in 8 gauge wire... ( my thinking is whilest the motor is running at x speed ... the least gauge wire is going to get the hottest ... my reasoning would build a 6 or 4 gauge wire with a fuse of say 60 ( or whatever ) amp rating so the wire stays cool...and if a surge came ( I don't know if surges come in DC ) it would take out the 60 amp fuse .........

thanx
R

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Use the biggest size wire that suits your current limit., so if you're using a 50 amp fuse, you need 60 amp wire or higher.

RandyFL

Joined Aug 28, 2014
Use the biggest size wire that suits your current limit., so if you're using a 50 amp fuse, you need 60 amp wire or higher.
Is there such a thing as a diode holder... or do I hand solder it onto the wire.

Diode I will go with...:
MUR860 MOTOROLA DIODE ULTRA FAST 600V 8A TO 220AC

here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121214036013

calculations ( if correct )
600 volts
8 amps
75 ohms
4800 watts

versus ( if this a correct way to judge ... which is probably not ) :)
12 volts
80 amps
.12 ohms
1200 watts

all the best
R

RandyFL

Joined Aug 28, 2014
The diode is soldered on the motor wires,
I bought a wire stripper when I got involved in electronics ( in 2014 - I'm a late bloomer ) anyway the instrument I bought does a nice job with small wire... my question is what do ppl use for larger wire

any suggestions are most welcome
cutter \ stripper \ crimpers \ connectors \ heat-shrink tubes ...

R

RandyFL

Joined Aug 28, 2014
I use a craft knife,wire cutters or soldering iron to take a chunk of insulation off.
update...
I had to wait until my funds were up to speed...ordered all the parts I needed do this project and then some...

Question
I hadn't included bus bar (s) into the order ( i'll wait for the next order )
Since I will be making different connections for different things ( clips ( or clamps ) to quick connect to battery as versus permanent connections ) ... how does this change the diagram or schematic....................
Should I use black and red bus bar ( s ) or strictly black, and mark them.

All the Best
R

RandyFL

Joined Aug 28, 2014

RandyFL

Joined Aug 28, 2014
Get the Amazon red one.
A. I would like to build a Ammeter ( with various shunts ) that I could leave in a circuit, like the one I am building. The circuit, that I am building isn't going to be permanent until I work out all the variables ( like what I intend to use the circuit for ).
B. Is there a way to combine a Apple pencil with an iPad and use the App Paint to draw circuits with? I wanted to see your perspective about these ideas...