How Do I Calculate Heat Generated in Wires ?

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
Hi have been searching the internet for a while but haven't come up with an answer.

Read something about how watts is connected to heat in wires . Or how it maybe due to electrical radiation .

But still i cannot find a standard equation to determine the heat generated in wires.

Thanks.
t00t

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi have been searching the internet for a while but haven't come up with an answer.

Read something about how watts is connected to heat in wires . Or how it maybe due to electrical radiation .

But still i cannot find a standard equation to determine the heat generated in wires.

Thanks.
t00t
Try the electrical regs for the building industry.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Current squared times resistance will give the loss due to a current flowing in a resistance(in watts)
This loss is almost 100% evidenced as heat in the wire. To calculate the temperature rise that occurs from this is much more difficult and involves
the time and amount of heat which the insulation can transfer to the outside, it also depends on the temperature outside of the wire and whether
the wire is inside of conduit or layered in a coil, etc etc etc.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Current squared times resistance will give the loss due to a current flowing in a resistance(in watts)
This loss is almost 100% evidenced as heat in the wire. To calculate the temperature rise that occurs from this is much more difficult and involves
the time and amount of heat which the insulation can transfer to the outside, it also depends on the temperature outside of the wire and whether
the wire is inside of conduit or layered in a coil, etc etc etc.
Bundles of wires can do pretty strange things.

Ever tried running a washing machine on a heavy duty extension lead that's still coiled on the drum?!

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
A watt is just an unit of power. This heating is due to resistance.
You can find the resistance in wire tables.
Then you have to know how much current is going thru the wire.
Then you can figure how much heat loss in watts, you have.

How you ever worked with electricity before?

If you haven't, then my comment means nothing to you.

Start at the textbook tab at the top of this page.

When you run across something that you don't understand......then ask a question......that way everyone on here knows exactly what you are referring to.

And we know how much you understand, in order to explain it to you in the right way.