How do I build a scoreboard using 7 segment displays

newhobbyist

Joined May 25, 2011
I could do with some advice.
I have been considering building a scoreboard using seven segment led displays. Ideally these would be 7" or 8" digits. The scoreboard digits would be displayed to be read in 4 sections (XXX X XX XX.X) where each X is a digit 0-9.
I would like to drive the system remotely using either Rf or IR from a control panel. The control panel must be simple to operate. eg for the user it could just be driven by turning a 10 position rotary switch for each digit, then pressing a transmit button.
(I dislike buttons where you press to increment or decrement one at a time) But if there are simple control display modules I am open to suggestions
I have seen numerous seven segment boards including http://www.futurlec.com/Lg_LED_7_Segment.shtml
again other options considered

I am practically new to this game - I won't say my last project involved valves but almost. I did some micro programming in the '70s but lets not go into that.

To begin with I would like to know the building blocks to use and any project books or magazines to read - I have seen some but they seem to go out of date quickly.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I think you have a great starting place there with a clean, debugged, and visually appealing purchased display. Getting the esthetics of a large display can drive you batty and drain your pocketbook as you go thru PCB iterations till looks as good as it works.

That leaves the "back end" of what actually drives these things. Not so much the data, but how to form that data. I would suggest something that lets you "preview" before going to the display.

Then its your choice if you have an alphanumeric 2 line LCD display or a full PC.

Either way a keyboard had lots less wiring then rotary switches.

Bring it on, this sounds interesting.