How diesel is used as fuel in generator.

aamirali

Joined Feb 2, 2012
How does diesel is used in generator. I want to ask how one ype of energy generated from diesel & how this energy further used.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If you mean and diesel-electric generator, there are two parts of it. First you burn diesel to get thermal energy and convert it to mechanical energy in a combustion engine. The mechanical energy is then converted to electrical energy in a generator.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
so first combustion is done. why don't it catch fire.

It does catch fire or really explodes. It is a controlled explosion and is the basis of all internal combustion engines.

Google Internal Combustion engine and I am sure you will find al sorts of neat graphics demos.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I'm guessing there are people in the world who have no clue about how an internal combustion engine works. They have no clue what goes on under the hood (bonnet). Never heard of cylinders, pistons, valves, crankshafts, carburetors, fuel injectors, ...
That doesn't make them stupid. Ignorant, maybe.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hey my lawn mower conked out yesterday and I have just enough knowledge of the infernal combustion engine to be dangerous.

However, after an hour of on my knees fiddling I got it to run again. Sounded like a fuel issue so I pulled the air filter to get to the gas line and drained it. Saw a ton of gunk in the bottom of the fuel, tossed that and refilled with clean.

Then I mowed up the early fall leaves.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I'm guessing there are people in the world who have no clue about how an internal combustion engine works. They have no clue what goes on under the hood (bonnet). Never heard of cylinders, pistons, valves, crankshafts, carburetors, fuel injectors, ...
All they need to know is that you put fuel into the thing & the engine rotates,which can then rotate the generator.
All the Otto-Cycle stuff is redundant.(Although I understood it when I was 12 years old!)

i'm wondering if the OP is getting confused with Thermo-Electric Generators,which burn gas,rather than diesel fuel.
These are external combustion devices,but operate at lower heat levels,use catalysts,& don't have an open flame.
That's where my knowledge of Thermo-electricity runs out!:D

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
I agree with you 100%, but if I were looking for that kind of information I don't think I would post it in an AAC forum.

I am sure you would feel the same if someone were looking for grandma's favourite recipe for apple pie.