How current pass through floating pin?!!

buffon2009

Joined Dec 7, 2011
Hi everybody,.

i had puzzled for a long time and i con't convince myself that floating pin in a circuit can lead noise .. how could it come with open circuity??!!

can the Current flow through open circuit?

assuming the floating point of the switch and there's electromagntic fields already comes from phones,Ac,....etc

how can the current pass through this circuit ??!!!

as i read that floating pin can introduce noise or wark as antenna..but how come floating pin works as antenna while the antenna not closing the circuit??!!!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Induced current can only flow in an "open" circuit if the frequency of the induced voltage is high enough to make the capacitance reactance of the open circuit stray capacitance to ground low enough to conduct the induced current.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The issue is the "floating pin" and has nothing to do with the picture posted by the OP.

A floating pin, e.g. on an IC, is one that has no external connection to either ground or Vcc (no pull down or pull-up). Such a floating pin can have a very high input impedance, while being connected to logic inverter(s) with high gain inside the IC. A bit of stray capacitance from some external, changing logic signal can couple that signal into the floating pin, and cause it to switch through its logic threshold...

This would be prevented if the pin was tied to either Gnd or Vss with an (pull-down or Pull-up) resistor.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
I had a transistor switching circuit I designed for a protected power supply with a diode at the input...the gain of the switch was very high, and putting my finger near the diode when the anode wasn't connected to anything would switch the circuit on, just because I was acting as an antenna for AC line hum or whatever, and the diode was rectifying it into DC. My jaw hit the floor the first time it happened.