how could this be possible

blue6x

Joined Apr 6, 2005
As we all know, on transistors, the current flows from the collector and the base down to the emitter and then around the whole circuit back again to that base and collector.

Also, That the base emitter junction, can be assumed as 07 V for silicon while the base collector junction is normally open...

Now, what if the transistor configuration happens to be on that attached file, whereas the input is fed to the emitter, and the output is connected at the collecter. There is no other way to move the current but to pass it in the reverse operation in contrast to the known principle.

How could this be possible, and what are the possible output.

blue6x

Joined Apr 6, 2005
I've seen this one in a schematic diagram of a device, that really keeps me wondering cause as we all know it is against the known principle, and yet it was applied on the circuit, this could also be applied to the opto isolators. Any one please give uyour analysis. Thanks....

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
It's called a common-base amplifier.

Characteristics are, no current gain, high voltage gain possible, low input impedance, high output impedance.

Any decent tutorial on transistors should cover it.

blue6x

Joined Apr 6, 2005
hey, thanks...
Now I know that configuration.
I've look on the topics concerning common base and perhaps it answered my questions in the best possible way