how complicated this project is going to be?

electron_prince

Joined Sep 19, 2012
Hi,
for my college project, i have decided by make a robot which can be controlled through internet and also it takes images or maybe video if possible to live stream through a camera and upload it to server. Is this even possible for individuals? Don't want to waste my time researching and experimenting only to find that it can't be done. :(

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Of course, it depends on your experience and skill set - but yes, it is possible.
  • How are you going to connect it though the Internet?
  • Is the robot going to connect directly to the Internet, or to a server which is connected to the Internet?
  • If the latter, what protocol will the robot to server communications use?
  • What processors are you considering using?
  • What type of robot will it be? Rover, Hexapod, etc...
  • How far from the server do you expect it to operate?
  • What protocol are you using to stream the video to the server?
There are several robotics forums that may help you in your research. Lynxmotion, Society of Robots, Sparkfun...

I would start with a block diagram of the functions you are going to need to develop and start from there.

electron_prince

Joined Sep 19, 2012
Of course, it depends on your experience and skill set - but yes, it is possible.
  • How are you going to connect it though the Internet?
  • Is the robot going to connect directly to the Internet, or to a server which is connected to the Internet?
  • If the latter, what protocol will the robot to server communications use?
  • What processors are you considering using?
  • What type of robot will it be? Rover, Hexapod, etc...
  • How far from the server do you expect it to operate?
  • What protocol are you using to stream the video to the server?
There are several robotics forums that may help you in your research. Lynxmotion, Society of Robots, Sparkfun...

I would start with a block diagram of the functions you are going to need to develop and start from there.
Thank You for the reply. It was quite encouraging when you said that it's possible.
I'll keep all those questions in mind while researching on my project. Well, right now i have certain ideas in my mind, which may change latter depending on ease to complete the final task.

[*]How are you going to connect it though the Internet?
I have a 3G Wireless datacard. I would like to use it.

[*]Is the robot going to connect directly to the Internet, or to a server which is connected to the Internet?
I want my robot to directly connect to the internet so that it can be operated from anywhere in the world. The robot should connect to a static ip address (my dedicated server) through internet. I'll send instructions to my dedicated server and my dedicated server will pass the instruction to the robot.

[*]What processors are you considering using?
I am considering 8051 micro controller. Some of you might think it's hard to achieve that task with 8051 but recently I've got one research paper on how to make 8051 a web server. It encouraged me to consider 8051 processor.

[*]What type of robot will it be? Rover, Hexapod, etc...
Not decided yet. But i want to keep the robot as easy as possible, maybe with just two back wheels and one caster wheel in the front.

[*]What protocol are you using to stream the video to the server?
I can use rtmp. I can install red5 in my dedicated server.

Thank You!! :)

electron_prince

Joined Sep 19, 2012
Looks like a job for a Raspberry Pi.
I wasn't aware that there is something like Raspberry Pi in the market :p. Thanks!! I've checked. It's also available in my country too (India) and the price is quite reasonable. That board is surely going to reduce lot of my work. I am just worried that people might think that I've got everything ready-made from market and there is no actual work of mine. :(
Aurdinos are also available ready-made in market but I've also made aurdino in home. Is it possible to make a raspberry pi in home?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can build the basic platform similar to a Raspberry Pi using an ARM chip.
The easiest way to experiment is to start with an inexpensive dev kit such as STM32F0DISCOVERY.

By the time you add a camera and WiFi Internet, you would be further ahead getting the RPi in the first place.

You don't have to worry about the work already being done for you. You still have a solid load of work ahead of you.

This project is not for the faint of heart!