how can this motor work?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012

I am not buying how it can make another rotor spin over long distance.

Also how is it possible the Magnet can spin at all?

Maybe there is something hidden under the table.

I want to prevent wasting time trying to build this.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I googled paperclip motors and they seem pretty simple and functional. This "motor" is explainable except for the apparent orientation of the spinning magnet. If the poles were vertical it would be a no brainer. The odd thing is that the poles appear to be orientated horizontally. Perhaps it is my misinterpretation. I say build it, looks like fun.

Why the other widget spins in proximity to this thing. Don't know.

The widget with the big coils and the two leds, Yea, that's no trick. Alternating magnetic fields and coils.

The reason this thing spins is that it is an electro-mechnical oscillator. The transistors form a switch. When he spins the magnet the field trips the switch dumping energy into the coil which dumps mechanical energy into the magnet. The coil saturates, the switch turns off, the kick back from the coil lights the Led. The magnet starts the process again on the next rotation.

Pretty clever.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yes, there is such a thing as a diametrically polarized magnet, and I'm willing to bet that's exactly what this guy's using.
You can find them here, if you're still curious.

pretty nice toy...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Pretty nice but I have no idea why the guy says it's not electricity being transmitted at 3:40 in the video unless you think electrons carry electrical energy instead of fields.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Pretty nice but I have no idea why the guy says it's not electricity being transmitted at 3:40 in the video unless you think electrons carry electrical energy instead of fields.
I think he means that what's being transmitted is a force through the varying magnetic flux lines of the device... Although, of course electricity and magnetism are supposed to be two phenomena deriving from the same theory... This might be the start of an interesting discussion...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I think he means that what's being transmitted is a force through the varying magnetic flux lines of the device... Although, of course electricity and magnetism are supposed to be two phenomena deriving from the same theory... This might be the start of an interesting discussion...
I guess first you have to define electricity in this context.
Electricity is ?
Coulombs
Joules
Amperes
"Electricity" is a field of science

If 'electricity' is simply the flow of charge (the wiggling electrons that are not electrical energy) he's correct but it's difficult to use the older strictly scientific meaning of 'electricity' to understand wireless energy flow in detail. Today 'Electricity' in science is a term used to describe the entire class phenomena of electro-magnetics. So the "electricity" sent to you from the power company or from his battery is in the context of electromagnetic energy transmission.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I dont think its genuine.

i have a similar air coil here just smaller, ripped apart a small audio transformer.
and I have disc magnets.

I'd have to twist wire around them so the poles can spin alternating.

but even so, such a small aircoil is not effective transmitting more than a few mm.

I bought some things, like paperclips, pins, blu tack.

From my experience with joule thief circuits, after just one mm the coupling goes down rapidly, and in the video you see a coupling over 1/2 metres. brightness doesnt even change over distance.

There are other fraud videos on youtube, such as spinning a motor made from 3d printed parts with small capacitors- one time a 1000uF, then even a 10uF.

Free energy fraud. If you connected a LED to a 1000uF cap, it will just do a very brief flash.

It is depressing how they are allowed to spread so much fraud and pseudoscience.

On amazon.de a lot of rubbish electric parts are now sold, they start popping up on bonanza as well. Always the same Kemo assortments at highly inflated prices.

Amazon even has a orgon generator on offer for 1300 Euro. Seems to be they just dont really care at all.

these are almost all time wasters and rubbish peddlers, more noble forms of junkies perhaps, but a similar kind of people.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I dont think its genuine. .... these are almost all time wasters and rubbish peddlers, more noble forms of junkies perhaps, but a similar kind of people.
I share your skepticism, but I'd probably try to build the device, just out of sheer curiosity... if I had the time (although I have all of the components, except the 30 ga magnet wire)... just to see if at least I can make the primary motor spin... As for the transfer of spin, it doesn't seem like 1/2 a meter to me, in the video it looks like less than half that distance. But (just like you) THAT'S the part that I find hard to believe...
Who knows... I might try and build it one of these weekends in the following months... stay tuned and I'll let you all know if it's a hoax ...or not... most probably the former than the latter...

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
my words may sound harsh but these videos spread a great deal of confusion.
It is nothing but the act of scamming.

I am not sure about this particular device so I ask here on the forum.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I don't get that this guy is one of those free energy nuts even though his construction articles are on a free energy website. He said that while it is spinning it draws 40 milliamps from the battery. That's not free. I think the motor is a cute toy that my grandsons would love to see and get bored of in 2 minutes.

I say build it. The most expensive part is the magnet (if you go with the diametrically polarized magnet). If you use a bar magnet or some other common magnet it will cost less that the price of a beer to build.

I asked my wife if I could have two of her plastic sewing bobbins and she told me where to go..........to find my own. Actually she said she would pick me up a few next time she was at the store.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Takao, this is getting interesting...

I say let's make a wager and see if anyone can make it work. Give me a few weeks, though, I'm up to my neck in work at this moment.

Here's the deal:
  1. I build the device and let you know how it went, video and all... I expect that the motor will indeed run... but that it will not be able to transmit this magnetic-coupling force at a distance...
  2. If the magnetic-coupling force at a distance works, AND you still don't believe me, then:
  3. I'll send the device to you, for free, all the way up to Ireland, so you can see for yourself (batteries won't be included, though... ha ha ha...), and if you're satisfied with the results, you can pay me back for the cost of shipping and handling, via Paypal or whatever... AND you can buy me a beer next time I'm in Ireland or next time you're in Mexico... just to cover the price of the parts...
Though I suspect that Lestraveled will maybe build it before I do...

DEAL?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Sounds good. Yes I can reimburse you for the efforts.

I'd even make a video for YT and "certify" it as really working genuinely.

As said, I bought parts, I am just a little anxious it wont work.

I have small Neodymium discs- my plan is tie them to two parallel stretched out paper clips.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ooooooookey then... we're on!... A beer either in Tucson or in Ireland is fine by me!
I'm already subscribed to this thread, so I will know if either of you get results before I do.
As I said, it'll probably take a few weeks, but I'll get back to you as soon as I get some results... Until then, then!