How can our electronic hobby and skills help in survival situations?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The skills learned by circuit design and troubleshooting would help in survival. Even if we had no power, we could use our problem solving skills to help.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Another electronic device I should mention, would be an electricity harvesting device. They are now in the process of making such devices; they acquire energy from RF, viabrations, solar, and thermal energy. This, in turn, could power a RF radio or light source needed to help you survive.

I've seen these diminutive steel bricks that are packed with chemicals such as magnesium. When they are rubbed against a relatively hard surface, sparks shoot off in abundance. Although this isn't electronic, this would surpass matches anyday since they are weather-proof.

The greatest resource you can have in a survival situation is, of course, your mind. If you have several devices that could be very useful, but the person using it doesn't know how to use it, then they are utterly useless.

Austin

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I wish. History says people like this aren't interested in controlling other people, aren't interested in politics at large either. This leaves the field open for those who do, and usually they are technical. It is almost as if it requires a different mental map.

The closest to what you're describing is Thomas Edison. Tesla and Armstrong are more the norm.
Ever see the ditty on the science-type channels, regarding the competition between Edison and Mr. Tesla ??

Edison certainly came out on the underside of that cow-pie, and if the fraction of Edisons abuse of Tesla is truth....deservedly so.

Granted, Edison contributed greatly to what we have, tho' should have been willing to recognize genius when he encountered it.

Ramble ramble.....................sorry

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Funny thing, it came out on this site (for me) that Edison wasn't entirely wrong. There are lots of circumstances where DC is transmitted via high tension lines, usually between countries with different standards. It isn't common, but it exists.

Edison was like a lot of people with a profit motive, he couldn't make himself wrap his head around the advantages of the other guys system.

I don't know if it is true, but it has been said that Edison never really accepted Ohm's Law (unlike the guys who worked for him). I have no trouble believing it.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I don't know if it is true, but it has been said that Edison never really accepted Ohm's Law (unlike the guys who worked for him). I have no trouble believing it.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow ! Can't say I ever heard that one. Suffice to say the man would have to be one class A blockhead to disbelieve something so "provable" mathematically as Ohms law........

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If that's the case, then a few years in the Boy Scouts might be more to the point. Calculating a dropping resistor won't help a lot to kill, skin and clean an animal.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Well if it is a 1.21 gigawatts lighting strike. Perhaps the ugly germs will be transported back in times:rolleyes:. Joking aside I do not think it will do any difference at all.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I remember seeing photograph from an underwater photographer who captured lighting strikes hitting dock posts on the surface. I don't remember him saying anything about feeling a thing in the water. There would be so many routes for the energy to go, I don't think it would bother bacteria. (or much else)