How can our electronic hobby and skills help in survival situations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JohnVladEasternTiger, Mar 9, 2010.

1. JohnVladEasternTiger

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hi everyone. First let me thank the maker and Contributers to this website articles and forums, they are a great help to people like myself. Im into my bushcraft and survival activities even thoe again Im learning more in this area, topics like "off the grid living" and self sufficient lifestyle. I like the idea of living "off the grid" not totally but its good to have a option to reduce our dependance on the electricity grid, I like to be self sufficient in food and other things, im not against all technology and things we use but im wondering if electricity disappeared tomorrow what devices could we use and how can our electronic hobby come into play to help us survive? If you get what im saying, when we think of electronics people assume televisions and plastations and ipod. I know electronics is more than that like the medical field and space exploration, wind up radio and torch lights. But I dont know if you know ways we can use what we know to help in a survival situation where we need water, shelter, food and communicate and generate power? I seen one video someone that build power batteries and a generator from wind/sun solar to his home, surley they is more than only this idea and where do the circuit boards, components and stuff come into play here?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I moved this back here, as the topic is pretty speculative.

When you mention "survival situations", I think of the tens of thousands of years people and civilization has existed with no knowledge of electricity or electronics. If that is what you mean by "electricity disappeared", then I would be at a loss to see how any electrical knowledge would be useful.

One author, S. M. Stirling, as a set of novels out that imagines such a situation. It turns out that the members of the Society for Creative Anachronism come out on top, as they all had handy suits of armor and swords in the hall closet, and can beat up on the forces of evil/the less well prepared.

3. JohnVladEasternTiger

Feb 27, 2010

Thanks for the reply, sure I agree but in those days we had a less population, we are heavily dense look at the large cities off the world all electricity dependant, New York, London Toyko etc. So how would our skills come in handy dealing with a situation in the present world?
    Thank you

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Let's zero in on "electricity disappeared". Do you mean a situation in which electricity no longer functions at all?

5. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    A good thing to make would be a UV electronic device. Then, you could scan it over water to eliminate all the bacteria so you have clean water to drink.

Austin

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    We're still waiting to find out if there is still electricity possible.

7. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    I think batteries would be an exception, not to mention solar panels too.

Austin

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I think that thru solar electric source,less heat can make
    us live longer and a better live.The less heat diet there are so
    choices to make.Enough light to read to nourish the mind
    and soul. The weather has to be mind over matter thing,should you
    cover or use the breeze. These are personal things that you don't
    pay enough attention to because we are given easy choices that
    we pay for,take one room with power meter and start thinging about
    choices and mean to things different. So If you don't own a house
    you could start to have a better life.Some one compute a power
    budget electric cost per month to communicate by computer and
    I-phone. After a small microwave oven for small meals and hot coffee.
    If every one take a part of Mathematics house and reduce It to more
    healthly living. Take part in ways and means of good electronic
    health,sort a like fastasy baseball select a team or thing.If you are
    food person,heating precooked lobster for 20 seconds. Thinks and
    post solar sources that you could live by,I will start a list for
    budget electronics,light,heat,communications,food,warmth,cooling
    measuring these Items for a single room,or like conditions.
    Thingmaker could use your Information In his life choice to live in forest
    and communicate by laptop when comes across wifi area which is
    free from the forest service in remote locations,I am sure most of you
    will not get the point of this post. Put your self in a minimal condition
    and pick a subject that you would survive with. Loosewire
    Unramble,the rambleing,eat less and live longer,while posting
    eat peanuts.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Fact is, unless it was a true dark age, I doubt electricity will every completely fade from our civilization. It would take something like the movie 2012, where every library in the world was destroyed all at once. I tend to think more in terms of the scenario of the book 1632, where you went back to a low tech base. It is important to note that even then a lot of stuff could be fabricated by artisans back then, the sticking points would be things like insulation on wires. Knowing something can be done is more than half the battle though.

If we went through a modern Armageddon, where 90% of the population died, we would be scavenging for a long time, but eventually (with libraries) the ball would get rolling again. A lot of components are measured in millions of hours between failures, that is long enough to keep people aware of the advantages.

Mountain men are the exception, people being social animals. City states could come back, but they would be a lot larger than anything Rome ever had with a city.

10. JohnVladEasternTiger

Feb 27, 2010

Yes I mean if electricity just dissappeared omorrow, forgive my imagination, Im trying to think all our Electronic Engineering knowledge would it go down the toilet or would it be useful in some way to help the chasos that would unfold due to the lack of electricity

11. JohnVladEasternTiger

Feb 27, 2010

Good Idea, in order to create a device like that I presume you would need to be highly skilled in Electronic Engineering right?

12. JohnVladEasternTiger

Feb 27, 2010
    Good post, you are obviously talking from experience?

13. JohnVladEasternTiger

Feb 27, 2010

Thats an interesting comment, I once spoke to some Indian wiseman and he told me all the knowledge we have today like Math, calculus, pi, physics laws, Electricity, were passed down from civilisations before, he mentioned they was flying machines and space exploration, but a nuclear war wiped out everything and then slowly civilisation grew back again. Also a video on youtube similar touched on this subject

Peace

14. JohnVladEasternTiger

Feb 27, 2010
  15. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Bit of a stretch there. There was a lot of knowledge lost in the fall of Alexandria, such as the earth being round, but we are at 6 Billion people and growing. Things like a nuclear war leave a permanent signature (isotopes for one) that weren't there before we started with nukes. We have made a pretty permanent impression on this planet, the kind that doesn't fade after 500,000 years. It is doubtful the human race as been around as a species that long.

Occum's Razor suggests strongly that this is the first time round for us as a species.

While evidence on earth would be obscured fairly quickly, which isn't the same thing as disappearing, our space program will be obvious for millions of years.

16. AllVol

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 22, 2005
    In this discussion it is important, I think, to realize that electrical use as we know it today has only been widely available just a bit over a century.

Prior to that, mankind did a tolerable job of developing civilization and increasing productivity without the use of the modern miracle. Shakespere wrote some long-lasting literature by lamplight, and Newton didn't have a laptop available to realize gravity.

Electricity has, certainly, been a highly useful tool, enabling all manner of great acomplishment, allowing mankind to stretch his grasp.... perhaps even exceeding his grasp in many respects.

So, I think we could survive without electricity as we know it today.

17. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I was talking about less energy and better diet in combo with low voltage
    lighting just as bright,maybe brighter. Since I posted last,over 5 hours,I have
    cashews,coffee,low fat milk.So we need to remind ourselfies to be healthy,If
    we use less energy that o.k..I not on a mission on energy,just doing common
    sense things. In most cases the computer screen serves as light.

18. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Every thing has disappeared,Its hard for you to name something
    meaningful besides the warmth of family.Any thing you name is
    not as important as it should be.Try me on this one,we have things
    but where is that feeling of security. What is missing that we care about,
    a job is a job,expanding your business is dull. This In no way has to do
    with your place of worship. Tell me some thing that you are out the door
    feeling good about,on a higher level than we would expect. You could say I
    like my work,we would expect more,a better feeling. We can't put our finger on it,
    what is it. We have one thing in common our freedom and economy,we have our common
    ground .

19. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    would be nice to own land with a small stream and / or a beaver - type pond one could run a hydroelectric setup off of :rolleyes: I have often thought that folks able to do this kind of work, plus the resources on hand to make broken things work again, would be the new controllers of society at large...........which if you extrapolate some post-apocalyptic movie scenarios would not be a stretch..............I just hope those with the talent are not megalomaniacs, as often depicted.

20. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I wish. History says people like this aren't interested in controlling other people, aren't interested in politics at large either. This leaves the field open for those who do, and usually they are technical. It is almost as if it requires a different mental map.

The closest to what you're describing is Thomas Edison. Tesla and Armstrong are more the norm.