How can I route same IPs to different NICs?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by strantor, Sep 10, 2014.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I have 2 GoPro3 cameras and I want to stream video from both of them to the same computer. The GoPros have a fixed IP address of 10.5.5.9, which cannot be changed unless by quasi-"hacking" the device. The cameras are not mine, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I have 2 wireless NICs on my laptop; the onboard one, and a separate netgear dongle. I can connect and have connected to both cameras simultaneously, but I can only stream video from one or the other, because when I type the IP address 10.5.5.9 into my browser or my streaming player, I guess the OS just arbitrarily decides WHICH 10.5.5.9 it thinks I'm referring to, and displays footage from that camera.

All I know about is the command prompt "Route Add" command but that does not let me specify the origin NIC, only the destination NIC (or that's what I gather). So how could I accomplish this? I need to be able to specify to the OS which device, I guess as some wildcard in the URL, which device I'm referring to (EX: "NIC3:Http://10.5.5.9" Vs. "NIC5:Http://10.5.5.9")

Any ideas?

2. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    You might be able to setup one NIC in client (NAT) mode (with no DHCP) where the LAN side has an assigned network IP different from the GoPro3 IP wireless side. You then will need to add a route from the LAN side IP to the gateway router.

10.5.5.9 (first NIC/CAM) -> gateway
    10.5.5.9 -> NAT client -> network IP (second NIC/CAM)
    route network IP -> gateway

3. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    This makes no sense. Such a "fixed" IP would be inoperable on most networks, save those where a) 10.5.5.9 was an acceptable address within the subnet, and b) the address is not already used by another device.

Usually, especially with WiFi enabled devices, DHCP is used to assign an allowable, non-conflicting address, for any given subnet configuration. Is you DHCP configured properly?

Each camera should have its own unique MAC address. Perhaps they duplicate the MAC, fooling your DHCP into thinking they are the same device? If so, it'll be impossible to differentiate between them at the link level.

4. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    I know, it sounds ridiculous, and it is. But I'm not wrong; the cameras have a fixed IP address and the only way to change it is to modify the firmware with 3rd party unreliable software. GoPro only supports the wifi interface as far as their IPhone app and their wireless camera remote control is concerned; those are the ONLY interfaces they intended the Wifi to communicate with, and accessing it via PC, while not a breach of any kind, is not supported territory, hence the nonsense.

5. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Ok, but how then would I specify to my software which camera to look at? I'm using VLC Media Player, via the instructions posted here. You copy and past the URL "http://10.5.5.9:8080/live/aaba.m3u8" into VLC's "Open network Stream">"Enter Network URL" box. I need to enter something in this box to tell it WHICH 10.5.5.9:8080. I want to have 2 instances of VLC open, playing footage from 2 cams from two NICs.

What type of router/bridge device could do some kind of IP forwarding thing for me? So that I can assign an IP address of 10.5.5.10 to the router, treat the router as if it were my gopro, and have it relay that info to its connected 10.5.5.9? I tried already with my el-cheapo Zyxel MWR-102 travel router in AP mode; I was able to make the router connect as a client with the gopro, but from there, I did not have any further success. I was not able to treat the IP of the router as if it were the the GoPro, nor was I able to even see the gopro through the router (connected to router via ethernet).

6. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    You might try a router address in a different range like the 192.168.xxx.xxx so it will translate correctly. Can you ping and access the Zyxel router web interface from the PC in this range and see the gopro connected it it via wireless?

7. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Does each GoPro camera has its own MAC address?

8. drew_pd

May 3, 2011
    Late reply to this, but...

Note the MAC addresses of both cameras, then connect to the first one and start the stream. If you're on Windows, open a command prompt as an administrator, and delete your ARP cache by typing arp -d -a. Then associate the MAC address of the other camera to that IP by typing arp -s 10.5.5.9 mac address of camera. Then connect to that IP again and it should go to the second camera.