How can I produce simple electronic sounds

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tpny, Jul 27, 2012.

1. tpny

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2012
    I want to make a device for my nephew that can make simple sounds like announcing "1", "2", "3".. when he presses some buttons. How do I go about with the sound part? Is there some chip, transducer, magic?? I have really no idea in that department any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It can be done, and probably relatively simply, but you are going to have to learn to program µC such PICs.
  3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    You could just get one of these:

Seriously, Radio Shack used to sell some modules or chips... I remember one I got off their discount rack decades ago that would emit phonemes... was kinda fun. They may still have some recordable modules.

I got what may be a few good hits googling "Sound Module" as there are places that sell greeting card modules you can record your own greeting on... but that means 1 module per phrase.
  4. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
  5. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    You might take a look at this link here. Someone has used an Arduino to produce speech.

The Apple II has a speech card called "SAM" aka Software Automated Mouth. On the card was a DAC and an audio amp. The speech was produed mainly in software. So a microchip PIC with a DAC might be able to do it if the database for the words to speak is not too large.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
  7. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    djsfantasi likes this.
  8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    There are two ways that come to mind but both will require knowledge of microcomputer interfacing and programming.

The first is the Votrax chip which may be hard to find now. It is a sound synthesizer that allows one to output speech from text input. The speech sound is very robotic.

The second method is to use an audio recording chip which can digitize and store short or long clips of audio. Winbond makes these in an array of different sizes. With this chip you can record your own speech sounds to produce human sounding voices.

I have used both methods, the latter being used for a telephone ID announcer.
  9. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    I also agree with absf about the speakjet IC, I have used this in quite a few projects, it can be used by itself without a microcontroller it is just programmed via a PC with magnevations phrase-a-letor software....

This does not require too many external components to work, most components will be with the audio amp circuit to amplify the output, but then again, you can get a prebuilt audio amp or in kit form from various manufacturers, some linked to by others in previous posts.
  10. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    One question that hasn't been asked is how many sounds/buttons do you want this device to support? 4? 5? 8?... limited only by total time?
  11. tpny

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2012
    I would like to have the device speak from 1 to 100. I kinda like the uC to DAC idea..