How can I measure impedance of electrical component at high frequency (13.56 MHz)?

Dong-gyu Jang

Joined Jun 26, 2015
Hello.

I'm trying to measure resistance, inductance and capacitance of our electrical components at 13.56 MHz.

I was told that the network analyzer can do this job. However, It seems there are instruments of another types which also measure these parameters.

As I'm not familar wit this, I would like to ask what kind of things are typically used to measure resistance, inductance and capacitance of electrical components at high frequency. Practically, I would like to get cheeper solution as budget is limited.

It is also good for me to know a list of instruments capable to do this measuement.

Thanks to read!

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Measuring impedance vs. It's components can be two different things.

One way to measure resistance is to use a log amplifier - analog has a few such chips. Basically drive the dut through a sampling resistor and measure the voltage drop over that resistor.

Measuring it's components is tough, at this frequency.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you can't afford to buy a network or impedance analyzer, you may be able to rent one, if this is a one-time measurement.
Otherwise I think you will have to bite-the-bullet and buy one.

Dong-gyu Jang

Joined Jun 26, 2015
All right. It looks network analyzer and impedance analyzer are only practical option..

Could you tell me which one is better for high frequency measurement? All they are same?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
All right. It looks network analyzer and impedance analyzer are only practical option..

Could you tell me which one is better for high frequency measurement? All they are same?
Just look for one that measures the parameters to the desired value at the desired frequency.
You generally pay more for higher accuracy and higher frequency, so didn't get more than you need.