How can I hook up my DC motor?

resilient

Joined Feb 2, 2009
I'm trying to hook up my DC Fasco motor that I recently purchased to my power supply, but I'm having difficulty getting it running. It's a 12.0V DC motor (http://www.amazon.com/3050RPM-Diame...&m=A3V8AZN3GDIRPZ&s=hi&qid=1259856535&sr=1-19).

My power supply is only rated for 30V at 2A, but I figured I would hook it up anyways. I didn't expect the motor to run, but I did expect it to draw at least 2.0 A of current... Right now, it draws no current, so I suspect I'm hooking it up incorrectly.

The motor has four wires coming off of it. It has a Black, Yellow, Orange, and Brown. The label says to Black & Yellow for CCWSE, Black & Orange for CWSE, and Brown - Common. I want my motor to be spinning CW, so I attached the Black to the Negative lead of the power supply, the Orange to the Positive lead and I left the Brown floating.

Have I set up my motor wrong? Why isn't it drawing any current?

Thank you!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Your power supply may have blown a fuse, if not failed utterly. 22 amps is the running draw - that motor may pull a lot more starting up.

If you want to test the motor, try making heavy wire connections to your car's battery. Secure the motor firmly - it will jump hard from startup torque.

Brown is the common lead. It is the one connection that must always be present. Review the wiring before you try it next.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that you don't have power to the field winding. Try hooking black and orange together, and to power positive. Tie Brown to power common.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
this motor is what is classified as a "series wound" motor.

in effect, the field and armature are wired in series.
to get opposite rotation the polarity of the field OR the armature has to be reversed in relationship to the other.

this is the purpose of the 4 wires.

if it was a permanent magnet motor, one would just have to reverse the plus and minus leads.

http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php?products_id=761

Attachments

Last edited:

resilient

Joined Feb 2, 2009
awesome. thank you for the picture voodoomojo, VERY helpful.

thank you everyone for your help! i'll try this out today and see if i have any luck.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Please let me know the outcome.

part of my occupation is troubleshooting over the phone. Most times I can get the people up and running in real-time while I am on the phone with them. Sometimes I give them a list of tests and measurements to perform and then they will call back with the results. Sometimes not. I assume they were successful but ya never know.

That bugs me!

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
VoodooMojo, not knowing the end result bugs me, too. I seems as though some of the newer members haven't yet realized the importance of feedback no matter if it is positive or negative.
agreed Bill,
we are here for free. For me, I remember what it feels like not knowing something and have nowhere or no one to turn to. So we jump in where we can and help. Sometimes we are way off base but most of the time someone responding to a post is dead on. So we learn as we teach.
We need to know when we were of no assistance.

By the way...
I thought your avatar was a B24 Liberator but a closer look shows a Warning Star WV2. Are you a flyer?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
agreed Bill,

By the way...
I thought your avatar was a B24 Liberator but a closer look shows a Warning Star WV2. Are you a flyer?
I was an Air Crew Member between '62 and '64. Performed in-flight radar and electronic maintenance. Primary base was Barbers Point, HI, but missions were based from Midway Island. We would take off from Midway, fly a rectangular route NNE until we saw the Aleutian Islands on radar, turn around and land at Midway, 14 to 15 hours later. Thanks for noticing! Proud to have served and more proud of those serving today!

Just saw Beenthere's post. It is actually an EC-121K. Not exactly sure of all the various designators. Some had different configurations for ECM., Sonarbouys, etc.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
My experience is pretty indirect. Off the Vietnam coast, the AF EC-121 was call sign CROWN. We were a cruiser (then called a frigate, but classed as a destroyer leader, DLG-29 - the Navy likes designators) with call sign RED CROWN.

resilient

Joined Feb 2, 2009
Hi guys,

I tried hooking up the motor again as per the diagram... Brown to ground and Yellow to positive. I was able to draw 2 amps, but again, no rotation. When I tried starting the motor using my own hands to turn the rotor, it didn't feel any easier than when there was no power connected. I also checked the resistance between the Yellow and the Brown wire and it was very low... About 1 ohm or even less.

Do you guys have any other suggestions I might be able to try?

I really appreciate all of your help!

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
leave a voltmeter tied to the power supply and watch how far the voltage drops when the motor is put into the circuit. Also if you haven't yet, use the battery from an automobile to see if the greater reserve of amperage will help you.
be sure to put the voltmeter as close to the motor as possible.
let us know

Last edited:

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
I haven't seen a blower motor wired that way before but at this stage...

resilient, is it possible for you to attach a photo of the wiring diagram on th motor?