How can i find the right switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Henrik Berby, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Henrik Berby

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Hi, i am looking to replace a lost switch on my office table, it is an eletrical table using a hydraulig motor to either lower or raise the table height. Problem is, i cant remember how to find the switch or where to buy it, but i know the function.

the wiring going from the control-unit on the table to where the switch was, consists of three wires, Red, Brown and black.
    the black and brown wire is supposed to connect individually to the red wire based on what button is pushed or which way the switch is(Black wire makes the table raise and the black makes it lower itself) as drawn on the picture attached. the button or switch needs to have a rest positon where neither of the wires are connected so that the table can stay still. (either springloaded or whatever, it just needs to retract to the resting position ) Table Button Scheme.png
    Sorry for the bad drawing, i hope you understand what i mean.

2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Single pole, double throw with center off.

3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    MOD NOTE: Moved to General Electronics Chat where it should get more attention.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Really, a hydraulic motor to lift a office table, what weight are we talking?
    A little more of the mechanics are required! So far a little vague.
    Max.

5. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    Yep and can even get them spring loaded to center off. 3 terminals 3 wires, what could be easier.

6. Henrik Berby

Aug 17, 2015
    Well the table is some old office table from kinarps, it can easily lift a fully set up workstation with me sitting on top of the table.
    i dont really know much more of it since most of the parts are inside of the metal casing of the foot. th table has a single foot in the middle where it raises or lowers the table by extending as a telescope.

this is what i found out about the control unit:
    Producent: Tollo Linear from Sweden
    -voltage= 230v AC -Duty cycle= 15% -Customer part no. 830 120 1000(probably insignificant)
    -frequency 50hz -Max On-time= 30 sec
    -Current 1.6 amps -2005-01-18(guessing its date of manufacturing)

i looked up the kind of switch on the internet and found these two:
    http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_21910_-1
    http://www.radioshack.com/spdt-center-off-high-current-mini-toggle-switch/2750325.html

are these fitting, and if you could find one with casing so that i can attach it to the underside of the table, i would appreciate a link to where i can buy it.

7. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
  8. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
  9. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Tha'ts fine, but it's only rated for 125V.

10. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    We do not know what the control voltage to the switch is.
    Just listed the first full size switch I ran across for an example, the little switches the TS linked to are cheap and wouldn't hold up very long.

11. Henrik Berby

Aug 17, 2015
    i think both are fine, but ill go for BReeves' solution. since the controll wires are so easily available, i would only come to think that they are within SELV/PELV regulations, there is probably no need for more than a 30V DC rating. and from the looks of it, i would say the control voltage is low voltage DC.
    thanks for quick answers

12. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012

13. Henrik Berby

Aug 17, 2015
    that is the input voltage, there are resistors and circuits recucing the voltage of the control wires. probably the same concept as a plc

VOLTAGE MEASURED AT ~3.3V

14. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I doubt 3.3V is going to be able to run a motor or hydraulic system powerful enough to raise a coffee table.

15. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    What's so hard about understanding it has circuitry that uses a low voltage control signal to control the 220V motor.

16. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    In that case, the smaller and less expensive switch you first showed should work. I'd get a measure of the current while I had my meter out.

17. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    My point exactly. The OP seemed to be suggesting the whole thing operated at 3.3V, stepped down and rectified from mains.