How can I divide the frequency

peterlan

Joined Sep 13, 2008
Hello everybody, I am doing a project on building a digital clock. Now I have the crystal oscillator 4Mhz already. I would like to know how to divide the frequency to 1 hz since the clock of the digital clock need to be 1 Hz. Anyone who has some idea plz tell me?
PS. I have found some IC's that can divide the frequency ;74HC390 which can divide up to 100 but i still dont know how it work.Moreover I've found some circuit like this
http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/xtal-oscillator-frequency-by-74ls04/ .

Thank you in advance
Pete

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Ordinarily, if you don't intend to achieve a resolution below 1 second, you would start with a much lower frequency oscillator. 32,768 Hertz seems to be a popular starting frequency. The crystals that are available at this frequency abound. The nice part about starting with this frequency since it is equal to 2 raised to the seventh power is that it is easily divided down using a commonly available counter IC.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You can use a DS1307 but then you would need a microcontroller to set it up using the I2C interface.

I got the impression from your initial post in this thread that you were looking for a non-microcontroller based digital clock design.

hgmjr

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
I got the impression from your initial post in this thread that you were looking for a non-microcontroller based digital clock design.
If the OP can use a microcontroller then the division would be a simple programming task.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I agree, a microcontroller would be the way to go.

However, if the OP insists on using a 4MHz frequency source, the attached divider circuit would get them down to 1kHz, or 1/1000 of a second clock increments. Adding another pair of 4518 stages would get them down to 1/10 second.

If they're using a crystal, the AND gate could be replaced with a 4093 quad Schmitt-trigger NAND; use two as the crystal driver & buffer, and two to build the functionality of the AND gate.

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I too agree that a microcontroller would be the way to go.

The added flexibility and additional functionality could prove very valuable in the end.

hgmjr

peterlan

Joined Sep 13, 2008
thx verymuch for every body for any suggestion. Actually,I also want to use the microcontroller but I don't have the knowledge on that much and I think I have only one week to do this project. However, i really thanks for every suggestion .

Ah I have a question Depend on this
"the attached divider circuit would get them down to 1kHz, or 1/1000 of a second clock increments. Adding another pair of 4518 stages would get them down to 1/10 second.

If they're using a crystal, the AND gate could be replaced with a 4093 quad Schmitt-trigger NAND; use two as the crystal driver & buffer, and two to build the functionality of the AND gate."

If I do according to the attached i'll get the clock as 1/10 second , I need to divide by 10 another time right? Or not?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Since your target frequency is 1 Hertz you will need the additional dividers to get there.

If your interest is inclined toward microcontrollers, I would suggest that you make a commitment to become familiar with the subject as soon as it is convenient for you to do so.

hgmjr