how can i convert 24v to 12v?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks so much!:D Now i just need to find out where to buy that ITM8025. And im 12 years old BTW.
Hooooooold on, the LMT8025 is a module with some weird solder pads for surface mount that doesn't meet your design criteria of through-hold pins.
image.jpg

Sorry, Try again!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The 5 volt regulator will need extra amperage to allow boosting to 12 V. First, that process is not 100% efficient. Secondly, you can't create more power than you start with so, to make 12 V at 2 A, (24Watts), you need 25 watts plus some extra for efficiency losses for your 5V source. So, 6 amps at 5 Volts (30 watts or so).

IcedFruits

Joined Jan 15, 2014
what is your project btw ? 1-2 amp is big current, will sure heat up everything/ set something on fire (including wires) unless you know what you are doing.

edgolla

Joined Dec 22, 2012
Look on ebay for "Buck Converter". You can get an adjustable buck converter for under $1 including shipping. I would get two identical ones and use one to go from 24 to12 an the second one to go from 24 to 5. These produce only a small amount of heat (90+% efficient). Much less than a divider or linear regulator. Ed

Look on ebay for "Buck Converter". You can get an adjustable buck converter for under $1 including shipping. I would get two identical ones and use one to go from 24 to12 an the second one to go from 24 to 5. These produce only a small amount of heat (90+% efficient). Much less than a divider or linear regulator. Ed
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-DC-DC-Buc...861491?hash=item2a3cdecf73:g:SYYAAOxywFhTc1zI

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
They say "Don't build, buy!" Rather than trying to build something that already exists, you're better off simply buying the part you need.

I see you've asked about dropping your voltage possibly down to five then back up to 12. That's not a good way of approaching it. You'll be better off splitting your 24 volt supply and using one half to give you the 12 volts you want and the other for the five volts you want.

Being that you're a young engineer, some more information might be useful to us. I'm wondering if your transformer has a split secondary, or center tap. I'll draw up some pictures and post them shortly. But if your transformer has three wires on the output then you probably have a center tapped secondary. It may also be possible you have two individual coils (secondaries) giving you 24 volts. I'll draw that too.

Also keep in mind the Buck Converter requires DC voltage. So you'll need to rectify and filter your power BEFORE you do any conversions. I'll draw that too.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try to give you all I know (which isn't all that much).