How can a LED lamp turn on automatically when the light go off ?

Michael George

Joined Feb 8, 2015
I have a lamp that contains many small LED's and two rechargeable batteries. The lamp is always connected to AC mains but it is off and no light comes out of it. When the light go off or no electricity in the AC mains, the lamp turns on automatically using the battery. What is the circuit that can do that ? and How it knows that there is no electricity in the AC mains ?!

One more thing, Do automatic start up diesel generators use the same technique ?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help :)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The lamp is always connected to AC mains but it is off and no light comes out of it. When the light go off or no electricity in the AC mains, the lamp turns on automatically using the battery. What is the circuit that can do that ? and How it knows that there is no electricity in the AC mains ?!
The two turn on methods are separate and unrelated.

Ambient light is typically sensed with a light dependent resistor (LDR). Loss of AC power can be detected in many ways.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
They use devices that are sensitive to light and in an appropriately designed circuit can do many thing LIKE :- turn on/off a relay that is then used to switch on the lamp depending on the light level.
Also, a very simple circuit can monitor if the mains voltage is present,EG :- when it is off, can operate a relay to turn on the light.
the combinations of possibility are enormous, and yes a light or power sensing circuit can (and do) control start up of generators.

peter taylor

Joined Apr 1, 2013
There will be a circuit that is connected to the mains, that keeps the battery charged and keeps the LED switched off. When the mains disappears (during a downpour normally in my area), this circuit no longer functions, and the LED and battery will run normally.

Regarding diesel generators, the circuit is the same in theory, but way more complex, involving batteries to start the engine, and charging circuits that 'sense' the mains and monitor it for fluctuations or spikes.

Those generators are HUGE, and I have worked on one that backed up an entire 33 story office block. Scary.

There are more fail-safe circuits than I'v had McDonalds Filet of Fishes.

And we are talking 100's of peoples lives relying on this circuit to run properly.

The circuit you have is very simple in comparison.

I would imagine now they have Embedded Micro-controllers sensing the mains and deciding when to the BEAST over.

Just my 20 cents

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
My dad got a couple similar units, but I don't think they have batteries, just AC, they plug into wall outlets. They do have LDR sensors. At night they are ON. During day they are OFF. I am not sure if they have AC failure detection. They are basically safety lights for kids or for adults to get around the house without turning main lights on.