How can a hidden microphone be detected?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
kindly guide me about how can we detect any hidden microphone?
If it doesn't transmit RF, you're probably screwed.

If it does transmit RF, you only need a receiver tuned to the same frequency and it will "howl-round" just like an amp with the MIC too close to the speaker.

If the nefarious person has included an audio frequency shifter - you're still screwed!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If it doesn't transmit RF, you're probably screwed.

If it does transmit RF, you only need a receiver tuned to the same frequency and it will "howl-round" just like an amp with the MIC too close to the speaker.

If the nefarious person has included an audio frequency shifter - you're still screwed!
Assuming they haven't included an audio frequency shifter, wouldn't it still depend on you using a demodulation scheme that corresponds to the modulation scheme used by the mic?

Abdul_Haseeb

Joined Nov 2, 2013
I have watched a movie in which a pakistani girl spied on an intelligence agent. When they check their home they find hidden microphones.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Assuming they haven't included an audio frequency shifter, wouldn't it still depend on you using a demodulation scheme that corresponds to the modulation scheme used by the mic?
An AM receiver will pick up an AM bug - an AM receiver will pick up an FM bug if its slope tuned.

If the nefarious person has spent some dosh on digital encoding - you're going to have to spend some dosh for gear to detect it!

Danm1

Joined Jul 19, 2010
When you meet this person who you think may have the hidden microphone, just make sure it's in a place of your choosing and where it would be hard to hide a wire, like a steam room. This is what they did in the Mafia movie I saw last week.

But these days, they might also have some partner with a big parabolic dish microphone hiding across the street.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The Russians have placed some marvelous bugs in our Embassies. One was powered by dissimilar metals embedded in the concrete foundation.

My favorite one was not powered at all. Instead it modulated a external broadcast signal: no signal broadcast, no signal out. We screened it (it was placed a wood carving) and when it came up clean it was placed in the ambassador's office. Once visitors confirmed it's location the external signal was applied.

Gotta love the History Channel.

adamclark

Joined Oct 4, 2013
call the NSA,, I hear they are the leading "buggers" these days.. lol.. This is how I see things, We are all monitored somehow at this day and age. you cant leave your house without being recorded in some manner.. The powers that be have made it extremely hard to be "off grid".. if you are conducting some sort of actions that would make you nervous to be watched or heard then its up to you to take the right precautions.. If you are concerned about a mic being hidden on your property, don't do or say anything incriminating in that area.. Furthermore do some research on the surveillance techniques used by those who you believe may want to record your actions.. there are many different techniques used by organizations.. so you need to determine the level of those who are surveilling you.. if its just a friend or girlfriend or something the tech is going to be very low and easy to figure out,, but say something on the feds level, it might just be in your best interest to lay low and really watch yourself...