How bad is PCB dust?

PandaHero23

Joined Jun 16, 2016
I was using a scouring pad to get the copper exposed on a stripboard and didn't use a mask while doing it. Is the dust that came off bad for me?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Fiberglass dust is really awful, but you're supposed to be using water while scrubbing.
I use a green scrubbing pad.
Finish with a hair dryer.

PandaHero23

Joined Jun 16, 2016
Fiberglass dust is really awful, but you're supposed to be using water while scrubbing.
I use a green scrubbing pad.
Finish with a hair dryer.
i see. so i saw that fiber glass dust is as bad a asbestos, if so, am i gonna die of cancer when i'm 40 or something like that? (i'm 13)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
i see. so i saw that fiber glass dust is as bad a asbestos, if so, am i gonna die of cancer when i'm 40 or something like that? (i'm 13)
No, just wet the surface to contain the dust and wear a dust mask (properly fitted) to make sure you're fine in the future. People who've had issues with asbestos generally have years of exposure.

PandaHero23

Joined Jun 16, 2016
No, just wet the surface to contain the dust and wear a dust mask (properly fitted) to make sure you're fine in the future. People who've had issues with asbestos generally have years of exposure.
good to know :) ill be sure to take the proper percaction when doing that

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Ok lets examine the situation....

You said stripboard, therefore I am not sure why you are sanding it down to reveal copper. If you are sanding stripboard then these are usually made of a material called FR-2 (otherwise known as SRBP - Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper). This stuff is not going to kill you outright but long term exposure to dust is something to be avoided. Note the word long term. If you do it a few times you have nothing to worry about.

If you meant a PCB then scratching the PCB to reveal copper has two possibilities:
  1. Soldermask. What you scratched off was an epoxy resin that protects the copper tracks. I have no clue about this and thus recommend to avoid the dust
  2. PCB material. PCBs are typically made of FR4 (also known as Epoxy Resin Fiberglass) and this stuff, believe it or not, is not as bad as people may think. Fiberglass was the alternative to asbestos as it does not cause the same long term effects (cancer etc).
Regards,
Robin

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Asbestos dust is carcinogenic, i.e. it causes cancer, the dust from fibreglass is classified as a nuisance but is not carcinogenic. Generally the effects of these things are related to the volume and length of time of exposure, I doubt there would be any effect from a small one-off activity but do it every day for 20 years and you may have ill-effects.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was thinking about a nearby boat building place where they attack fiberglass boats with an 8 inch grinder. A week of that without a dust mask and your lungs can be loaded up so badly that you can't breathe. Then, there have been times when I just buffed 4 edges with the grinder in the shed and realized that was a stupid thing to do because I could already feel the dust in my nose.

A little hand buffing didn't hurt you, but minor insults to your body accumulate, so don't do that without using water.
I can testify that I cleaned many a board (in a factory job) with water and returned them to pristine condition with a hair dryer.
I'm talking 500 megs minimum resistance for "all traces to ground" to pass Quality Control.
So, there is no danger to the board in using water, soap and water, and/or several industrial solvents.