How are these control panel tags/name plates made and where best to get

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
I saw this being done on my travels. A pantograph stylus followed a metal number/letter about 2 inches by 1 inch, by hand. A cutter made a much reduced copy on a two colour plastic laminate.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I saw this being done on my travels. A pantograph stylus followed a metal number/letter about 2 inches by 1 inch, by hand. A cutter made a much reduced copy on a two colour plastic laminate.
Computer controlled engraving machines using both single flute cutters for plastic and diamond drag tips for metal have been around for almost 30 years. There are of course some purist who still do it with pantographs.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I get mine from a local electrical supply/ Allen Bradley distributor. They have generic "start stop forward reverse" in the shelf, and if you want custom, they have an engraver, just send in a CAD file of what you want.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I use reverse engraved Lamacoid for all my panels, two advantages, they can be multi coloured, legends etc, example an E-Stop can have black lettering on a white panel and have the mandatory yellow circle around the button.
Also they are dead flush, no top engraving, so no ingress of dirt or grease into the legend.
I get it done in one piece for the whole front panel.
Max.