How are magnetic shunts used in practical applications?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by #12, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/education/tutorials/java/magneticshunt/index.html

I just learned about magnetic shunts, thanks to Wookie. Referring to the above website, I can see that you could probably get a zero and a max on the left side of the drawing but the right side would only make a parallel path. More convieient for fine tuning, but lacking a zero% or a 100%.

I'm wondering if anyone here has actually used magnetic shunts and could share their experience about practical applications.

Thank you,

2. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Haven't used one in a circuit. But have one, its in a "stick" welder. Instead of moving the output lead from one tap to another, like most "buzz boxes", my welder has a crank on it. The crank moves a lamination in and out of the core of the transformer. This in turn changes the output amps of the welder.

#12 likes this.
  3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    #12 likes this.
  4. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    We used LVDTs on some Laser cutting machines where I used to work.
    The metal was on a large roll, which was fed into the machine. The metal usually had some camber and the LVDT had a cam follower that would ride the edge of the metal. That in turn would offset the program parameters enough to keep the parts within specs. The laser was a Coherent General and the CNC controls were from Anorad, it was several years ago and don't know if either are still in business.

#12 likes this.

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Brilliant!