how an analog phone line works

tuanvoi

Joined Oct 31, 2008
Does anybody know or have a good resource that relates to "how an analog phone line works" (graphs, circuits...)? Thank you so much!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Google "plain old telephone service". I don't think there is much mystery inherent in sending an analog signal down a wire, though. Bell Labs work on switchgear and such was quite important in developing modern communications theory.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
If you want a book the

Telephone Installation Handbook

by Sterve Roberts and published by Newnes

has good information.

Earlier editions can be had very cheaply and contain all you rrequire.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Google "plain old telephone service". I don't think there is much mystery inherent in sending an analog signal down a wire, though. Bell Labs work on switchgear and such was quite important in developing modern communications theory.

Actually, you'd be amazed at what they accomplished even on the analog level. Concepts of multilayer phantom circuits (phantoms of phantoms!), bidirectional (hybrid) amplifiers, line loading, time domain reflectometry......all stuff they knew about before the 1920s! Fascinating and, in my opinion, REQUIRED, reading for any electronics technician.

eric

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Actually, you'd be amazed at what they accomplished even on the analog level. Concepts of multilayer phantom circuits (phantoms of phantoms!), bidirectional (hybrid) amplifiers, line loading, time domain reflectometry......all stuff they knew about before the 1920s! Fascinating and, in my opinion, REQUIRED, reading for any electronics technician.

eric

Oh, yes...I forgot....in 1928, they had a system of time division multiplexing using MECHANICAL commutators! It was actually deployed in parts of New York.

eric