Hovercraft Circuitry

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gjeffer, Oct 13, 2012.

1. gjeffer

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello, I am very new to circuits and building things in general and I've been spending a lot of time trying to learn the circuits and those sorts of things for building a hovercraft.

My hovercraft consists of 2 propulsion fans and 1 levitation fan and a 12V battery. I will eventually need to add an array of LED and IR sensors, a Light sensor and possibly a distance sensor. And the two servos are for the propulsion fans. I have the basic concepts of the battery and fans so far I think. I am a little confused on certain parts.

Everything needs to be connected to the one battery but I'm unsure of how to do that for the multiple fans, I know you can do it with the motors in parallel but I'm just not able to visualize what that would look like. It would probably be with a MOSFET right?? But I just don't know how to do that I guess. So if anyone could help me out there that would be great. Otherwise, how does this look? and any tips for figuring out how the sensors would work in?

Oh...and I did this in paint...is there a better program? I tried to find some but they didnt have any Arduino models.
  2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    U can use pen and paper and later scan the image and use ur phone to snap a photo. :cool:

What u are getting at is correct but there is a lot more to it.
    U need to study the basic of mosfet driving motors as such.

And u said something abt servo's. I believe they for rudder control or something.

And to hover, just one rotor may not be enough.

U have to have out runner motors & Li-po batteries for tht kinda toy, I believe
  3. dataman19

Dec 26, 2009
    First of all - you will need two lift fans (usually propelled by one motor - but can be two separate ones).
    The force needed to move the hovercraft is significantly less than that needed to lift it. Therefore, you need to reassess and adjust accordingly.
    I would suggest one propulsion ad two lift fan motors - but it is your project.
    Motor controllers are a dime a dozen on the internet. I would suggest you use a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM) motor controller. This will allow you the convenience of variable fan speeds and will result in cooler running motors.
    Here is a lift calculator to help you with the lift issues:
    Here is some inspiration to get the feel of the basics:
    Here is a you tube video of a hovercraft build...
    Whatever you do remember "keep everything simple and most f all "keep it light".
    Batteries (lead acid) are a bad idea. They weigh way too much. Lithiun Ion Ferite oxide (Lifeo) will provide more power with a better power to weight ratio. But they are not cheap.
    ..Either way - I'm rootin for ya,,,
    Hope all this info helps...
    Good luck with your project...
  4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Download Tinycad , it has Arduino in its library.