Household Passive Infrared Motion Sensors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by brianafischer, Mar 28, 2006.

1. brianafischer

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Hello All,

I have been trying to convert the light switches in my house from the standard wall switch to passsive infrared (PIR) motion sensors. I purchased two Heath-Zenith Motion Wall Switches (model #SL-6105).

I have two issues with these switches:

1. The setting for the OFF delay time doesn't seem to work properly. The light will turn off after a minimum of 5 minutes no motion. I have this switch in a closet, and would like to have it on for only 1 minute. Is there a way to modify the circuit to do this?

2. Range. I have another switch that looks into the hallway on the left and into the room on the right. I would like to create a "blind spot", so the unit only looks straight and to the right. How could I do this? Any type of "tape"?

I can provide the manual if necessary or if it would help with questions.

I enjoy experimenting with electronics, so any discussion of how these switches work. I would REALLY like to make some homebrew motion detectors that I could put elsewhere in the house as I am not very impressed with the flexibility of the commercial detectors vs price. Please leave your thoughts/comments/feedback!

Thanks,
    Brian

2. paultwang

Mar 8, 2006
    A circuit schematic would help.