Household Passive Infrared Motion Sensors

brianafischer

Joined Mar 10, 2006
Hello All,

I have been trying to convert the light switches in my house from the standard wall switch to passsive infrared (PIR) motion sensors. I purchased two Heath-Zenith Motion Wall Switches (model #SL-6105).

Features:

* Selectable Light Timer
Allows you to select a setting of minutes before automatically shutting off lights after motion has stopped.
* Automatic Photocell
Deactivates unit in daylight.
* Manual Override
Turn light off or on at your convenience with existing indoor wall switch. Allows light to stay on continuously all night when needed.
I have two issues with these switches:

1. The setting for the OFF delay time doesn't seem to work properly. The light will turn off after a minimum of 5 minutes no motion. I have this switch in a closet, and would like to have it on for only 1 minute. Is there a way to modify the circuit to do this?

2. Range. I have another switch that looks into the hallway on the left and into the room on the right. I would like to create a "blind spot", so the unit only looks straight and to the right. How could I do this? Any type of "tape"?

I can provide the manual if necessary or if it would help with questions.

I enjoy experimenting with electronics, so any discussion of how these switches work. I would REALLY like to make some homebrew motion detectors that I could put elsewhere in the house as I am not very impressed with the flexibility of the commercial detectors vs price. Please leave your thoughts/comments/feedback!

Thanks,
Brian