House without Ground

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by SoulCrank, Oct 17, 2016.

1. SoulCrank

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 11, 2016
    A friend moved into a old shackish house and he plays guitar. His amp hums alot in this house, so he bought one of those line filter units but it did not help much. I was checking his power and realized there were no ground wires at any of the outlets nor are the boxes grounded. I found and old piece of pipe, pounded in the ground and ran a wire through his window to a ground adapter and pluged the amp into that. most of the hum was gone.

Is there any other way to provide a "cleaner" ground to his amp. I heard of a line filter or ups type unit that provides its own ground. Does any body know of such.

2. Sinus23

Sep 7, 2013
    I'm far from being an expert but I would at least think about getting a licensed electrician to ground all of the outlets. If he's just renting and can't get his landlord to do so...I hope that others here can give their expertise in that matter of mains noise traveling through his amp and or improper grounding.

You are sure that it's not his amp that is the problem?

3. SoulCrank

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 11, 2016
    No his amp works fine every where else.

4. Sinus23

Sep 7, 2013
    OK it was just I had an amp that a friend of mine borrowed and when I got it back the mains hum ran through it no matter where. So I was just making sure...

5. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    A house without ground is otherwise called castle in the air.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Is there a metallic fed water supply to the home?
    Max.