House UPS wiring confusion

tractable

Joined Dec 30, 2009
I am not expert in electrical matters, I've a working ups shifted from old house to new one.
I tried to connect it to my room bulb as shown in attachment ups.jpg. But as the main supply is cut off and before I can turn on the bulb switch, the wall socket led remains red, ups produces a strange sound and the ups output voltages appear as 50V which should be 220 V. I am getting the impression that ups output is going back and becoming its input, how can i adjust the wiring?
If I disconnect ups output wire-A, the output voltages become normal at 220V.
Any clarification is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
This seems to be some European device? We don't have these in the U.S. However, looking at your diagram, it seems like you might be having a conflict with the wiring, for sure! Hopefully the UPS isn't blown. Looks to me like multiple live connections to that switch.
Should the power not flow thru the UPS to the switch and then to bulb? As shown, the mains power is ADDING to the power from the UPS (short wire below point A). This could be causing the UPS to act as a simple resistance, and could be damaged.
Just my 2 cents, someone who knows the setup will probably chime in pretty soon..
Good luck!

tractable

Joined Dec 30, 2009
Mike, thankx for reply,
UPS is china made, I've used this circuit once online and now I am trying to use it by switching off the main supply. Result is same the wall socket led turns on which ensures the ups output is going back to its input, krrrr sound starts from ups, ups output ~ 50V.
Not sure what is wrong...?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If I read your drawing correctly, you are feeding the output of the UPS back to the mains of the house. THAT IS A BIG NO-NO. The reason being, if the utility, for whatever reason, has disconnected power to your feed, they expect it to be dead. Your UPS could end up making it live and injure or kill someone. A UPS should only be connected to dedicated loads. Large UPS units have automatic transfer switches that insure that the output of the UPS is not tied to the mains.

tractable

Joined Dec 30, 2009
BillB,
UPS should be connected to dedicated loads,,,,,this gives me an idea and I slightly changed the configuration, see ups-1.jpg. Now its working, thanks.

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Glad it worked out for you. Not only was your original configuration not working for you, it was VERY UNSAFE!. Again, glad to hear you have it working.