Hours of Sleep!!!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Again, Sleep ?

If memory serves me, that's how we met him here at AAC. He was up for days on end and got angry that we were not helping him enough. :rolleyes: Honestly, I don't know how he operates with so little sleep.
You remember dho!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Well, it is known by errbody that one needs 8 hours of sleep in order for the human body system to perform properly!
Personal needs differ a LOT. Maybe 6, 8, 10 or maybe who knows...

Depends of age, job and physical condition.

I would add, also training / habit matters. In my personal case I've been doing a job that keeps me frequently awake for LONG periods and, much to my regret, I can work with a steady performance really longer that most of people. That does not says that I am happy with that, it is easy for me or that I am proud of it. At all.

My four children along their childhood behaved quite differently and while for "my" standard they did sleep a LOT, it was not by their mother's which also was able to sleep for long periods (and seemed / seem to actually need it).

Those 8 hours that seem to be carved in stone for some are as valid as the 4 times you have to eat every day or the times of the day you must/should eat.

There are so many varieties in all this that instead of rules the only thing you could make is to build nice statistics that the best of the Excels could not manage well....:eek:

BUT, the only solution when you are tired is to sleep as much you need and all those pills, drugs and the like are just junk.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I doubt the lack of sleep itself would kill, although it does cause accidents.
This guy stayed awake for 11 days:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder)
I would never be able to stay awake that long. I've never even pulled an all-nighter. I've always gotten at least 6 hours of sleep. Never less.

Going for long periods of time without sleep can lead to car accidents, or hallucinations that could cause you to do something stupid. Not sleeping probably won't kill you, but the things you do while awake can get pretty dangerous....

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I once went about 7 days without any sleep unintentionally, what I would contribute to CFS. It was definitely not a pleasant experience.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I once went about 7 days without any sleep unintentionally, what I would contribute to CFS. It was definitely not a pleasant experience.
You mean you didn't even sleep for 1 hour or 30 minutes during those 7 days!? No Sleep at all...you didn't even close your eyes for 10 minutes?

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I doubt the lack of sleep itself would kill, although it does cause accidents.
This guy stayed awake for 11 days:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder)
Nice reading...it actually 18 days and something the deprivation of sleep record by another guy...

I'm so surprised!!!:eek: I've always told myself for some unknown reasons that the deprivation of sleep for couples days would kill but now I have an answer...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You mean you didn't even sleep for 1 hour or 30 minutes during those 7 days!? No Sleep at all...you didn't even close your eyes for 10 minutes?
No sleep! Nada, nunca, rien, kein, niets, nix, nil, zilch, zippo! Yes, I closed my eyes, count sheep, goats, chickens, binary, hex, tossed and turned but never fell asleep for a whole week.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
When you live in paradise,you can't waste valuable time sleeping.

If you haven't lived in paradise,you wouldn't have a clue.

Raiff knows of paradise,so does Loosewire.

No sticky,no hickies.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There have been cases of people with specific brain damage who could no longer sleep. They allowed themselves to be researched. Turns out they actually do sleep, for 5 minutes or so. They nod off, wake up, and never notice. They do lay down to allow their bodies to rest, just because you brain doesn't need down time any more your body does.

There are drugs the military has been playing with that do pretty much the same thing. The side effect (other than no sleeping) is the longer they (the volunteers) stay up the stupider they get. Nothing permanent (that I know of), but they are more likely to miss the obvious if they have been up for 72 hours.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I remember from my time in the army. That after some days without much sleep, cold and wet weather. And perhaps also combined with small intake of food. You may still function well doing more or less automated task. Like walking, talking and fire a gun even. But then it comes to more complicated things like writing a patrol report. Things suddenly turn out to be much harder. The brain runs slow like sirup

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes, but in those circumstances you still need sleep. With the drugs the need is invisible. If it became common I suppose we would find out more about the side effects.

One good thing about them though, you don't get any kind of a buzz, and it doesn't destroy your liver, as with amphetamines. So they are really effective without the likelihood of being abused.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
T06, is a military experiment ? Maybe that has some bearing on his

attachment to fish and fish pictures. He only posts when he

asleep or awake,its hard to tell the difference. Now the Rooster

never sleeps,except.