Hotter than...real hot things.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009

I can understand you may be thinking.. "Oh whatever! 103 degrees isnt bad!"

But if I may draw your attention to the elusive heat index.

112deg F is nothing to sneeze at. Its kill-people-hot outside.

We work for a half-hour, then drink Gatorade in the A/C for a half-hour.

EXHAUSTING. This is EXHAUSTING. And just to think.. A few months ago, we had back-to-back blizzards leaving 4+ ft of snow here.

No bueno.

No far-eekin bueno.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Remember, it's not the temperature, it's the humidity. I can remember many a hot, muggy day, but not 103°. Go get some crabs and beer.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Hello,

The 112 °F is the exparienced temperature.
It depends on humidity and windspeed.
The humidity makes the experienced temperature higher.
The windpeed makes the experienced temperature lower (windchill).

This page will explain the things:
http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/classes/idm3020/tut_folder/nick_tutorial/

Bertus

Thats right. The BIG thing is, the humidity is only 35%. So if we get much more, considering it is pretty low now, folks will be nuts.

It sucks when the "breeze" that you feel is warmer than your breath.

It got to 106deg F (Actual) at 3pm. That..is...unpleasant.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We were running 100°, then it rained for 5 days (including the 4th). Now it has all turned to steam. Wonderful.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats right. If they dont have A/C, don't make them stop.

Folks get right testy when its hot.

I remember reading something about the number of murders and other violent crimes rise dramatically when the temperature goes over 90deg F.

I tell ya what, If I was stuck in a trailer/house/apartment with no A/C on a day like today and someone was relentlessly nagging or pushing my buttons, I would get quite agitated quite quickly.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I remember reading something about the number of murders and other violent crimes rise dramatically when the temperature goes over 90deg F.
That's why our urban riots don't occur in February. There is noting better than a hot, sticky Saturday night to keep the ER busy.

John

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
<plays very small violin> :p

And I was commenting to my wife the other day that this is the coldest July I've ever experienced in my life in the western US. I just got off the phone with a customer in LA and he said he was out on the evening of 4th of July and he had to put on a sweater. We had family at our house and we also needed to put on a sweater or sweatshirt after the sun went down.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
And I was commenting to my wife the other day that this is the coldest July I've ever experienced in my life in the western US.
OOOHOHHHHHh.... If I wasn't so far away....And willing to go outside.. Id show you what you could do with those sweaters.

WOW, this HEAT/VIOLENCE correlation seems to be pretty true! :D

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
35% RH? I'd say that's desert conditions but deserts are judged on rainfall not relative humidity, not much risk of heat issues if you are sane and keep hydrated in those conditions. We broke a local record today of 91 at 50% humidity, and I work for a living, I had to adjust my pace a bit, but it wasn't too bad. Once you get closer to 75% humidity in +90 weather people start dropping like flies. Over about 80% and I become non functional for even basic movement let alone work.

Mind you at my work place the ACTUAL temperature is between 100-110 degrees. I'll be bringing my thermometer into work tomorrow to verify so I have some numbers to shoot at my boss about ventilating the room better, there's a fan that's being used to try to boost the exhaust to an air compressor which I think is doing jack crap because standard bladed fans can't handle the back pressure of the building, so it's basically just helping to mix the heated compressor exhaust with room air from the tip vortices of the blades. But that's just my theory.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
.....You have no idea.....

I have elephants about 100ft from my shop. Doesn't smell pretty. And my shop has 2 ceiling fans...and not good industrial fans... on the 30ft ceilings. No A/C, and I am usually covered in itchy saw dust.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thank you. I accept your apology. (I cant dance to a single violin ;) )

I guess I will add that it is 7am..85deg F and 65% humidity already.

The city is basically closed already. We have many schools with no A/C here, and the law says if the temperature reached 90deg F before 12 noon, they close.

No such luck for me however. ( someones dad, break out the violin...actually the whole orchestra if you would)

Gatorade, anyone?

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
<plays very small violin> :p

And I was commenting to my wife the other day that this is the coldest July I've ever experienced in my life in the western US. I just got off the phone with a customer in LA and he said he was out on the evening of 4th of July and he had to put on a sweater. We had family at our house and we also needed to put on a sweater or sweatshirt after the sun went down.
Yea! Finally some heat in Portland. Time to stress test the Solar power system.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I thought this was a little cute:

I like that it feels cooler than it is. Even though it DOESNT!

Whack-jobs.

The weather report on the radio just said:
"Todays temperatures will range from 79 to 104 (deg F). The current temperature in Baltimore is 106 (deg F)!"

Well thats great smartypants! How can you say in the same 2 lines that the high will be 104 and it is now 106?

Jeez. Maybe the heat has gotten to them too.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I flew my model airplane this morning, from 0900 to 1030. By then, the temp was 88°F, bright sun, no clouds, no breeze, and dew point >60°F. Then I headed for air conditioning. Yes, I am a wimp in my old age. No regrets, though.

John