Hot wire anemometer calibration

laura_c

Joined Apr 11, 2013
Hi guys, I am calibrating my hot wire anemometer in the wind tunnel, through the use of an amplifier. Now, as I am calibrating, the voltage is set to a maximum of 9V since if exceeds 10V, it damages the card data reader. My question is that: for hot wires, when the velocity increases, the voltage should too. but the reading I got were of a decreasing voltage as the speed of the wind tunnel was increased.

does anyone has an explanation for that? thanks :)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
If the hot-wire operates at constant temperature, then the voltage across the wire will increase at higher air velocities. This is because more power is required to maintain the wire's temperature as heat is drawn away from it.

If it is operated at constant current the voltage will decrease at higher airflows as the wire resistance decreases as the temperature drops.

laura_c

Joined Apr 11, 2013
You connected something backwards. Post a schematic.
I do not possess a schematic of the connections... but basically, when I used negative voltages, (with the same connections), as the velocity increased, the voltage decreased negatively...and converting the -ve voltage to positive values on the voltage - velocity graph, the graph followed King's law...

while this did not occur when I used a positive voltage...