Hot Plate Idea!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
See the attached pic,

It took me Hrs to solder and desolder, and in the end the IC exploded, literally, with a "POP" :eek:, and landed else where, not my face, thank god.

I was thinking about it and I came with a small hot plate idea since the TCON board is a single sided surface mount pcb.

My hot plate will be around an inch each side. I can heat it up to 260°C with a temperature controller. It would make a whole easier to pick up and place the chip without blowing it up and flipping away the adjacent components, right ?

I like to know how I can go about it. Say should I use nichrome wires
enclosed in cement and glue metal inch square plate . sides can be eclosed in glass.

Or, how about ceramic low value high power resistors bonded a bunch together and encapsulate it with cement or lead. Give it a controlled power to regulate heat at 260°C.

I can just put the little cube under the pcb heat it up. The PCB will be on the plate. Not convection heating.

Or any other ideas from u guys ?

Attachments

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
How about making the cube from scrap PCB, maybe a cuboid that extends further below the board and put a temperature controlled iron in there. The air should heat to about the same temperature as the tip.
Don't know how good the results would be, but won't take long to try.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I would be concerned about localized expansion causing fractures of traces or via points. The high priced commercial units use a pre-heat of the entire board, then higher temp localized heat on the target component.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
How about making the cube from scrap PCB, maybe a cuboid that extends further below the board and put a temperature controlled iron in there. The air should heat to about the same temperature as the tip.
Don't know how good the results would be, but won't take long to try.
My first thought. Down the drain.

I would be concerned about localized expansion causing fractures of traces or via points. The high priced commercial units use a pre-heat of the entire board, then higher temp localized heat on the target component.

Did not get u ?

If the chip is a goner. You may cut it loose with a stanly knife. Use solder wick on the pins first
I use solder wick to clean the solder. As usual, u are confusing me. :confused:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
If the chip is a goner. You may cut it loose with a stanly knife. Use solder wick on the pins first
I don't think this works for these chips.
And I don't just "don't think". I tried it. It is absolutely impossible.

If you don't mind the heat stress, put the PCB in a domestic baking oven.
After some minutes, you can lift off the IC with a screwdriver.

Most components will survive, except plastic parts, and electrolytic caps.

I have used that to remove large 68ec020 chips.
And I have also used it for reflow soldering.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I've seen an iron used (clothes iron) turned upside down, the hotplate can be removed from all the plastic casing.