Hot Air Rework Station DIY project

Richie121

Joined Jan 12, 2014
This is almost an essential piece of kit, but the prices of good ones may seem prohibitive, so I looked into what makes them tick.

There are basically two types divided by where the air is produced. Some (the cheap ones) have a small fan in the torch, while the better ones have an air pump in the larger base unit.

Spare torches are suprisingly cheap so it looks like a possible DIY project to buy one of these, and supply the air pump, box and control.

The control circuit is the fun part of the project as it is basically a digital oven controller, and a PWM motor control for the air flow.

Boxes are not a problem as I was going to hack one of those aluminium vanity cases that already has a strong handle and sturdy feet. I might even fit an IEC socket to the back and make the torch plug in too, so I can keep both the lead and the torch in the top - nice and tidy!

My main problem seems to be finding a suitable pump. The original ones put out 120L/Min, but aquarium pumps are not near that, balloon pumps and car tyre inflators are too noisy, and I'm having a hard time sourcing one.

So my first question is - does anyone know of an air pump that can put out 120L/min?
A double diaphragm pump seems to be what they use.

I will put up photo's as I go and keep you informed of progress.
Thank you.
Richard.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Cheaper to buy ...+1
Plus you buy sometimes you get some kind of warranty and know it works and your not trying to fix a project that might not even work right...

Richie121

Joined Jan 12, 2014
Why build when you can buy?
But where is the fun in that?
Is this what we have resorted to?
All those model makers out there wasting their time building models when you can buy a ready made one from china that will fly. Nobody bothering to make their own egg timer or car alarm because you can buy one for under $10?

I understand your reasoning, and I would be the first to grab a module rather than make simple parts from scratch, but there is some sense of achievement in building something yourself.

Anyway, $100 is a big deal to me, and I know I'm not the brightest button in the box, but just thought it would be an interesting and worthwhile project that I would actually use.

Maybe I should just buy new things when they break and forget about repair altogether.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I suppose whenever you visit the beach you bring a bucket of sand home with you so you can burn the coal you mined and run your own silicon wafers so you can make your own transistors? IC's are next months project?

Personally I get lots of enjoyment when using the tools I've bought to make new things. It bothers me not I bought the tools instead of making them too.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"I understand your reasoning, and I would be the first to grab a module rather than make simple parts from scratch, but there is some sense of achievement in building something yourself."

Yep, we have been a throw-away-society, for many years now.:(

rc3po

Joined Feb 12, 2014
This is almost an essential piece of kit, but the prices of good ones may seem prohibitive, so I looked into what makes them tick.

There are basically two types divided by where the air is produced. Some (the cheap ones) have a small fan in the torch, while the better ones have an air pump in the larger base unit.

Spare torches are suprisingly cheap so it looks like a possible DIY project to buy one of these, and supply the air pump, box and control.

The control circuit is the fun part of the project as it is basically a digital oven controller, and a PWM motor control for the air flow.

Boxes are not a problem as I was going to hack one of those aluminium vanity cases that already has a strong handle and sturdy feet. I might even fit an IEC socket to the back and make the torch plug in too, so I can keep both the lead and the torch in the top - nice and tidy!

My main problem seems to be finding a suitable pump. The original ones put out 120L/Min, but aquarium pumps are not near that, balloon pumps and car tyre inflators are too noisy, and I'm having a hard time sourcing one.

So my first question is - does anyone know of an air pump that can put out 120L/min?
A double diaphragm pump seems to be what they use.

I will put up photo's as I go and keep you informed of progress.
Thank you.
Richard.
I understand wanting to build your own stuff and save money also. I like to do the same. But a Rework Station? Not a chance - I would probably waste too much time. I saved up and got a nice Aoyue 852++, I think it was around $150 or so brand new. That left me with more time to play with circuits!
If you do buy a new one, read the Instructions and make sure you remove the RED screw on the bottom before you turn it on.

rc3po

Joined Feb 12, 2014
"I understand your reasoning, and I would be the first to grab a module rather than make simple parts from scratch, but there is some sense of achievement in building something yourself."

Yep, we have been a throw-away-society, for many years now.:(
Not so much anymore since the economy is getting worse. I live in Fort Worth, Tx and there are over 90 computer repair shops in the phone book. And many TV repair shops.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
All those model makers out there wasting their time building models when you can buy a ready made one from china that will fly. Nobody bothering to make their own egg timer or car alarm because you can buy one for under $10?

I understand your reasoning, and I would be the first to grab a module rather than make simple parts from scratch, but there is some sense of achievement in building something yourself.

Anyway, $100 is a big deal to me, and I know I'm not the brightest button in the box, but just thought it would be an interesting and worthwhile project that I would actually use.

Maybe I should just buy new things when they break and forget about repair altogether.
For me it's mostly about safety and money... When people have to ask how to build something really basic then I tell to buy it ... Cause I don't want to hear how someone built there own Hot Air Rework and burned there house down or kill someone ...

But as per the build stop thinking air compressor and think Heat gun(Psi vs volume )...
The hot air rework is just a better grade of a heat gun ... The air comes from a high powered fan and I would use a turbine fan or a high static fan ...