Hospital Bed Control Box Schematics

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by repairs online, Jul 7, 2011.

1. repairs online

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Anyone involved with repairs / service to control boxes on hospital beds. Looking for schematics of any type

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I am but no schema's. Cause I do not need any.

3. repairs online

Nov 3, 2007
    Mostly Linak, I presume, where do you source the parts

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    online....

5. repairs online

Nov 3, 2007
    Give us a URL or two

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    digikey, mouser and the likes

7. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Aren't hosp. bed controls AC - PSC gear motors, or univ. rectified DC units w/ reversal wiring on capacitor or switch ??

Awful straightforward....who needs a schematic ?? :confused: unless they have something fan-cee as an H-Bridge....which doesn't seem likely :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  8. RFactor

May 1, 2009
    I have some.

9. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Dummy needs schematics :D

10. repairs online

Nov 3, 2007
    ...well, I am talking about controls boxes, as in the electronics that control the actuator motor.

The early models (control boxes) involved depending on the number of actuator motors, relays, and they still do

However, just like everything else, this area is in continuous re-development, and the electronics become more and more complicated as most of the more modern hospital beds are remotely controlled.

Therefore, any schematic, you may have, just post it on the forum or email to me

11. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Getting schema's for those are next to impossible, but if you post pictures, we can help

12. RFactor

May 1, 2009
    Attached are a couple of hospital bed schematics. Both are for the same model bed, different revision.

All of you who were saying "who needs a schematic"
    should check it out.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    PackratKing likes this.
  13. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Those are old school digital electronics.

Still....who needs schema's;)

14. repairs online

Nov 3, 2007
    R!f@@, the easiest way to repair would be to replace the entire control box (ease of mind repair, no schematics needed), in which case, no need for electronic technicians/engineers.

Big companies love it. A recent example, a $1000 control box in the dumpster because of a 5 cent component.

Another example, a charging card (for the batteries) second hand, selling almost $100. To buy a complete DVD player, far more complicated device than a charging card, about $40.

R!f@@, you seem to be an expert in this area, what do you do for a living and where are you based, I mean, which country.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  15. repairs online

Nov 3, 2007
    .....how about, the LINAK CONTROL BOX CB20 OpenBus

16. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    What gives? You asked for some schematics, which RFactor supplied but no response from you. I was with Ron yesterday when he was digging through a pile of crap to find those schematics for you. A thank you would have been nice!

As an aside... Hospital beds do have a fair amount of electronics in them. Besides the electromechanical sections,.. Many models interface to the Nurse Call system, Code Blue, TV control and patient controlled lighting. They also have sensors that interface to the Nurse Call that indicates if the patient vacated the bed. Today, many of those functions are tied into the Nurse Call LAN.

IMO the "I don't need no stinking badges!" statement is lame. Next time, if you want more serious replies, steer clear of this section of the forum and post it in the Projects section. Oh,... and remember to say thank you when someone expends time and energy for you.

17. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    It appears that I am quite mistaken 'bout the complexity of these items !! :eek: my humble apologies to Repairs Online.

The 2 links put up in #12 by RFactor are indeed quite complex, as opposed to some of the earlier consumer-level units I was more familiar with.

Cdrive shed some light on the many interfaced circuits in actual hospital equipment............maybe there are items out there that are straight enuf to work on without a map...........those two most certainly ain't the ones

On the lighter side >> quote # 14 -- "A recent example, a $1000 control box in the dumpster because of a 5 cent component. "?? :rolleyes:

You oughta ask this packrat what some places pitch out attached to that 5-cent component - :D

I frequent the local industrial areas [ what's left of them thank you very much NAFTA <snip snip snip> ] and run across a mother lode every so often.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  18. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    RFactor and I are coworkers in a large hospital. You would not believe the electronics goldmine that goes out the back door. This stuff (some of it) avoids the dumpster and is stored in a parking garage out back until an electronics recycler picks the stuff up. Ron and I usually rummage through the stuff long before the recycler gets there. :D

19. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Getting the exact schema for a typical box OP wants ain't easy, and probably does not exists.
    Cause these items are not meant to be repaired like tht.

The controls involves a lot of area as CDRIVE high lighted.

All I need is skill full trouble shooting as it involves a large area and mechanics

20. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    I received this in a PM but since we're an information sharing forum I'd prefer to post the answer.

First off, a large hospital is more like a self contained city or a naval ship without armaments. It has a machine shop, carpenters shop, power plant, furnace, water storage, just to name a few. You're question should be more like "What can't you find"? Computers, UPSs' and Monitors seem to flow regularly from all departments. PC Boards loaded with MOS FETs, Piezos, Coils, Ferrite Beads, Transformers, AC & DC Motors, LCD Displays regularly get tossed from the Bio-Med Electronics shop. A few months ago one of our scopes (Tektronix 2221A) lost it's sweep. Since this model is a Hybrid Analog/Digital and Bio had recently purchased new fully digital models, they were going to toss it. Needless to say, it took a ride home with me.

About 10 years ago I walked out onto the loading dock where I found a very large and old power control cabinet of some sort. I don't know if it came from the power plant but it was chuck full of relays of every dimension. The front panel was riddled with beautiful D'Arsonval meters and 4 Electrodynomometers. They were all made by Weston and General Radio, which were a leaders in meter movements back in my day. I removed every one of them along with shunts and some relays the size of bricks.... I can't help myself!

So, as you can see, just about anything can and does get tossed. They don't have to be malfunctioning either. Just past their time. Oh, did I mention?...The beds have hydraulic cylinders too!