Horizontal scanning redution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One of the major differences between a CRT 'scope and a CRT TV is that the TV scan is driven with a magnetic coil which is intimately tied to the sweep frequency, and the 'scope is driven with an electrostatic field inside the CRT (voltage on flat plates). This is what divorces the 'scope sweep rate from the high voltage section and allows any rate of change you want. As long as the sweep rate is limited by an inductance, you have a limited usefulness.

Thevenin's Planet

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Not really a good thing to learn though!

CRT technology is absolutely obsolete, and is being dumped at the scrapyards at a scary rate (go to your local dump and have a look at the TV mountains!).

All new TVs and new 'scopes are flatscreen LCD technology. If you really want something to leard then don't waste time with obsolete high voltage CRT technology, it was the last "vacuum tube" to bite the bullet, and it did last a while, but it is OVER now.

Learn things that will be useful in 10 or 20 years from now, not things that were useful 20 years ago!
If it's a modified square wave does that mean that there exists harmonics in the wave form, Fourier Harmonic transform ?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The deflection coils that move the dot for a CRT are inductive so to make the scan a linear ramp then the waveform voltage must be modified, a kind of trapezoid so that the current is a linear ramp.

Why don't YOU look it up in Google instead of ME??

Attachments

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
The deflection coils that move the dot for a CRT are inductive so to make the scan a linear ramp then the waveform voltage must be modified, a kind of trapezoid so that the current is a linear ramp.

We've been there----he looks it up,either doesn't read it,or can't understand it,& comes back here asking silly supplementary questions!!:confused:

Thevenin's Planet

Joined Nov 14, 2008

Sometimes looking up subject on the Internet or books, if it's there it may take an disgusting long time, so I figure asking questions may shoten my pursuit.Also the way subjects are presented in electronics or electricity at times puzzle me. So I seach for a better interpretation.And sometime I might get an idea through a discussion that movtivate other insights into the discussed subject or others,in which prompt me to do more reseach through Internet, books or forums.I just don't wait for an answer.Since you brought to mine attention about the wave shape wasn't a sawtooth,(in which, I didn't recognize) put me on the search to find out why that was so.Electronic and electricity can be obsured or ambigous concepts.

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
It took me about 5 seconds to look at Google Images for "CRT Magnetic Deflection Waveform". Then I copied the waveform and some of the explanation and posted it here.

I last thought about this old stuff about 48 years ago.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Sometimes looking up subject on the Internet or books, if it's there it may take an disgusting long time, so I figure asking questions may shoten my pursuit.Also the way subjects are presented in electronics or electricity at times puzzle me. So I seach for a better interpretation.And sometime I might get an idea through a discussion that movtivate other insights into the discussed subject or others,in which prompt me to do more reseach through Internet, books or forums.I just don't wait for an answer.Since you brought to mine attention about the wave shape wasn't a sawtooth,(in which, I didn't recognize)* put me on the search to find out why that was so.Electronic and electricity can be obsured or ambigous concepts.
*You have already been told this,in various ways,about four times!!
This particular voltage waveform causes a sawtooth current waveform in the deflection coils,which are inductive.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The OP probably went to ebay by now, and bought one of those tiny handheld colour LCD digital storage 'scopes for $60. ;)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I once had a video (TV) monitor that was turned into an X-Y-Z scope and connected it to my stereo. It made amazing spirograph/Lissajous patterns that you can watch for hours.
Of course, this is all available now on your PC audio player.

Status
Not open for further replies.