Hoping someone on here know this

carlos1984

Joined Jul 8, 2010
I have been looking all over the internet for this. Can someone tell me the answer to this. What is the name of this thing. I have it circled in the attached photo.I was trying to fix my xbox360 and i accidently broke it off . I have asked on all the 360 mods sites. I have a picture of it can some one tell me the name of the component and ifi ts fixable?

Attachments

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
It looks like a capacitor, which is capable of being replaced easily. However, with those surface-mount (SMT) components, it's difficult to determine the initial cap value.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
the white lettering below your note tells you what it is, it is a capacitor (probably a decoupling one rated around 0.1uf to .1 uf. it is labeled C4R53 in white box with the lettering..... it is a surface mount version smaller than a 1206....... when I get home I will pull out one of my spare XBox 360 mother boards and check the value for you. (I repair and MOD 360's so I have spare parts...)

B. Morse

carlos1984

Joined Jul 8, 2010
IThank you guys, After I found out it was a capacitor from you guys. I lokked on the net and found out this info
.1UF
6.3V
10%
X5R
How do I know what kind of replacement I need ? and
Is there a place where i could maybe buy one and how to replace it?

krychak2

Joined May 3, 2010
Carlos;
The capacitor can be found at any electronics supplier such as Mouser, Jameco, etc. One thing thing will have to watch out for is the size. This is a very small [402] component and can be hard to resolder, if you have no experience handling such components. It will require a small wattage soldering iron, no larger than 25 watts for safety sake, with a fine tip on it. A .1 uf capacitor is fairly standard and the voltage rating can be higher, but not lower, than the specified voltage as this is a bypass capacitor and will not affect circuit operation otherwise. Good luck to you, replacement should be fairly easy if you have worked with small surface components before.

carlos1984

Joined Jul 8, 2010
Thank you guys for all the input . It was far more than what I expected. I have a little experience but I will need to get the tools first and then give it a shot.

THanks again everyone . This site is great.

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
Did C4T47 also get knocked off? It's a larger cap, just above where you added your white note box to the picture.
/mike

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
and also the screws and washers you used.... those washers should be nylon or something other than metal, if those twisted under the screws when you tightened them down you could have scrapped the solder mask off of those traces they are resting on..... which would be really bad when you fire that thing back up!!..

B. Morse

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Are you sure you broke C4R53 off? It doesn't look like a part was ever installed there. Did you reflow the solder? I suspect C4R53 was never installed. How many big PC boards have you seen where some of the parts were "missing"? Manufacturers often design parts in (like decoupling caps) and later remove them from the design when they discover that they are not needed. There is no point in redesigning the board to remove the pads.
This was on an Xbox hacker forum:
Another m0b0 that I got from ebay was missing one, this one was heatgunned in the past so it could have been from the bracket. The weird thing was on both it was the same one: C4r53. I haven't tested it yet since I ran out of arctic silver the other day fixing a video card. hopefully I can get it working.
What a coincidence!:rolleyes:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I took a look on all 3 versions of the XBox360 I have on hand, and each motherboard does have these caps installed..... the smaller cap may not be important since it is just a decoupling cap but the other one may be important since it has to do with the memory array....

XBOX Mobo1.jpg

Xbox Mobo2.jpg

B. Morse

carlos1984

Joined Jul 8, 2010
JimmyB the xbox 360 works but only for about 20 minutes, then it totally shuts off. When it is work ing I check the time in the dashboard and it reads 7:00 and let it run, then it turns off after about 20 minutes, when I turn it back on it resets the time back to 7:00.